Think my chicken has gone blind, advice please?

• 6 Replies

krystal

Think my chicken has gone blind, advice please?
« on: September 27, 2011, 08:51 »
Hi all pretty sure one of my chickens has gone blind she hovers at the back til all others are out as they push her out the way her tail is down she is drinking as i have seen her but not sure if shes eating, im under 2 minds one weather to put her on her own in a diff run and house all on her own, or to end her life for her which i really dont want to do but dont want her to suffer. does anyone have a blind chicken that lives happily ok? what would you do please?  :( :( :( :( :(
Mum to 2 girls and 1 boy, wife, a border collie blur murl, a rabbit, 10 chickens and 1 cockrel, and 3 fish.

helens-hens

Re: Think my chicken has gone blind, advice please?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 11:45 »
Are you sure she is blind - what makes you think she has lost her sight? Have you had her for long? It sounds like she may be well down in the pecking order if she is being pushed about.  Try having a few feeders dotted around (bowls or similar would do for now) so that she has a chance of getting food. If you don't see her eating try giving her some by hand and see if she is tempted.

Let us know how you get on.
Helen

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 03:10 »
From what you've posted it doesn't convince me she's blind more sick or being bullied.

I think I would need a lot more information on the hen and her symptoms before I'd venture any advice as there's just nothing to go on here. 

If she really has gone blind there could be a number of causes and maybe a vet visit would be best.

HF
Truth through science.

foxichick

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 21:05 »
hi all, just bumping this topic in case anyone has any new info... im very new to keeping chickens but after owning my first few for only a few weeks one has gone blind.  The poor thing is approx 3 years old, red and was in very good health, over the last 48 hours she seems to have lost most of her sight, not recognising food or the rest of her fellow hens,  her eyes look perfectly healthy and she's not malting.  after browsing a few pages online it seems quite common... i have read several stories of red hens loosing sight literally overnight! i intend to talk to a vet tomorrow, but whats peoples views? trauma or infection? chances of regaining sight? and what should i expect vets bills wise? or can i do anything?  thanks in advace
foxi x

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 21:48 »
I think if they are truly blind the kindest thing would be to put them to sleep. Can't imagine how they'd cope without sight as they do all their feeding by sight.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 04:17 »
I was talking to someone just yesterday who has a blind chicken.  She has been that way for some months now.  It sounds like she can cope fairly well but needs a lot of intensive help from her humans. 

She seems to find her way around alright as she has lived in her current run her whole life, and the owners are careful to keep everything in exactly the same place.  She obviously can't jump up or down off her perch, so they put her on the perch at night and lift her off in the morning.  If they don't lift her she just doesn't come down (one time she tried getting down by herself and flew straight into the coop wall).

They did say she has been losing weight ever since she lost her sight.  They try to tempt her by hand-feeding her and giving her strong-smelling food, but she hasn't regained the wieight she has lost.

The family is about to go on holiday and will take the chicken with them in a cat-carrier so they can keep up the intensive supervision.

Back to the original post, I wonder why Krystal thinks her chicken has gone blind?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 09:07 »
I agree with Hillfooter you need to take her to a vet as you would any other pet, we cannot diagnose her problems as we cant see your bird in the flesh (she may be losing her sight or being bullied).

As for costs this depends on your vet and the treatment needed etc. There are certain medical reasons for eye problems - some of which are treatable with simple anti bacterial eye drops so a vets visit is needed.

Being blind in one eye is not a major problem (I knew a chap who had a blind serama cockerel who lived a very full life with his ladies  ;)) you will just need to keep a close eye on her and her eating.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
BLind chicken

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 19, 2011, 21:46
by jhub
sad
'Blind chicken'

Started by Kezza on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 23, 2012, 13:01
by Kezza
xx
Chicken going/gone blind

Started by colliebird on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 19, 2009, 08:49
by colliebird
xx
Help with blind chicken in this weather

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 12, 2012, 11:33
by joyfull

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 39 queries.