Raised beds with Sleepers

• 2 Replies

braders1234

• Experienced Member
Raised beds with Sleepers
« on: May 11, 2015, 08:26 »
Hi,

In my new garden I have aroughly 3.6m by 4.6m area that I want to put some raised beds in.  The wife is insisting that it can't look scrappy so am going down the sleepers route.

Any advice on what sie to make the beds?  I have 1.2 x 2.4 beds on allotment and although that is fine I would prefer a bigger bed, but not so big that I can use it all or have to alk on it?

Garden is east to west.

compostqueen

Re: Raised beds with Sleepers
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 08:52 »
Yep not too wide!  You need to be able to reach to the middle. Not too long that you're tempted to take a short cut over the top! 

If  you use sleepers then let them be new ones.  Scaffold planks are good for raised bed but you would probably have to buy those new as well, untreated. You paint them after with non-toxic paint

Link-a-bord is tidy and easy to put together. No paint required either, no nails or screws  :) 

mobilekat

Re: Raised beds with Sleepers
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 13:34 »
We built some last year and followed the advice of our friend who helped us- they are one sleep long, and half a sleeper deep,as minimised numbers of cuts and meant no wood wasted, we have 2 beds next to each other 'end to end'  only downside is they are against the fence- and does mean their is a 'hard to reach bit', but does mean they are helping yo support the neighbours fence!
The sleepers are on their ends, and 2 sleepers deep is a good depth- nice height to sit on with a glass of wine!
 :tongue2:
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

xx
Raised Beds

Started by A19_GRAHAM on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post March 11, 2010, 23:12
by hightide
xx
Raised beds

Started by muckyboots on Design and Construction

14 Replies
Last post October 16, 2014, 18:38
by LotuSeed
xx
Raised beds

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post October 25, 2010, 11:25
by dexyblue
xx
Raised beds

Started by samnorfolk on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 11:16
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 35 queries.