thinking about chickens....any advice???

• 6 Replies

wombling2006

« on: April 10, 2007, 15:05 »
Hello everyone, haven't been online for a long time now (recovering from op last year).....

I'm getting back to ok fitness now and have been dabbling and trying to do stuff at my pen.....
If any of you remember it was a challenge and half and then some.....
I've managed to keep the knot weed etc to a minimum on my original plot which houses my caravan, timber for recycling,bricks etc...
Good news is Ive got the plot next door as well which is 100% better!!!!
I've taken down the partition fence and got tomatoes, garlic, potatoes, various flowers and fruit trees, mushrooms and lots of seeds going at the mo....
Its now a massive double plot with a summer house, potting shed/greenhouse, 2 sheds and the best bit a chicken house and enclosed run....
It just needs a clean out then its ready to go....I will take pics and put on the measurements of it later on today....
I'm a complete novice, but would love to re-home some battery hens(please note I am a soppy vegetarian and will be naming them)....desperate for advice and guidance on anything from feeding to health to what to put on the floor for them..

sorry its so long winded...trying to make up for past 6months I think..

many thanks and happy easter./new beginnings to everyone

trudi :wink:
....beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 18:21 »
Hi Womble,  So glad to see you back again.

Chickens really are so much fun  :D

Grannieannie is the person to give you advice about rescue hens, she has about 50 of them.  I'm sure she will be along to tell you all about them.

Viv

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.oldmotherhubbardsgarden.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 18:55 »
I got four ladies in January and a cock last week. Of course they all have names, Tilly, Hetty, Ruby and Red Rita and our Cock is Rooster Boostet. We are hooked and will be taking some Battery hens on the next Rescue down here in Sussex.
Glad you are back on your plot, enjoy. :D  :D
Happiest in the countryside.
Breathe deeply, and let the butterflies fly in formation!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 22:55 »
Hi wombling, welcome back, yes, please save some poor little ex battery chickens, or even ex free range range ones!  They all get killed at 72 weeks whether they are battery or not!!!

Have you got any info on the Battery Hen Welfare Trust?  Their website is www.thehenshouse.co.uk.  look on the homepage top right and there is a button to click for regional co-ordinators.  It will tell you your nearest rescuer.

Aunty is nearly right, we've got 65 now!  Picked another 20 up last Friday so it was a Good Friday for them wasn't it???  :lol:  :lol:  And at the moment we are getting about a dozen eggs from the 20.  The other 45 are off lay a bit, only getting about 24 from them.  Are you an egg eating veggie?  if not, please don't waste the eggs, they are really nice, give them to your nearest and dearest.

They say start rescued hens off on the layers mash they are used to, but our rescuer said he puts them straight on layers pellets which they get ad hoc in the morning, then they get mixed corn after lunch and as many greens as I can find.  Munty says apple cider vinegar and dandelions are good to keep the bugs in their tummies at bay.  They also have a tray of grit and oystershell to help make nice strong shells.

We use shavings and straw on the  floor, and give them as much room as possible.  Our 65 have got a run that is now 280m² and their house is 6ft by 18ft

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 23:00 »
I can but dream  :mrgreen:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 23:07 »
don't like your green face aunty, makes me feel guilty that I do have a bit of space to put the chooks on!!!!!!

wombling2006

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 10:28 »
didn't realise even freerange ones were killed at 72 weeks...
My girls and family eat eggs, me sometimes but its normally in some other food...ie: cakes etc...

can you get the pellets from pet shops then??? What do chickens eat in the wild??? I would love to do things as naturally as possible really...better for nature and my pocket as well....
I have been on a battery hen web site and I think it showed a lady up blackburn way that dealt with rehoming them....

I'm just putting a few pics of the future des res (once its tidied and cleaned and painted) on my profile gallery thingy and a couple of pics of my allotment as it is at mo...

I would let them out in the morn before work to have freerun of everywhere, plus we can't have  cock birds with it being close to houses...

xx
Thinking of keeping chickens... advice sought

Started by Porffor on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 22:29
by peggyprice
xx
Thinking of getting chickens

Started by sando8901 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 29, 2007, 20:28
by slowef
xx
Thinking of getting some chickens

Started by ches on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 03, 2019, 15:51
by jaydig
xx
thinking gettin sum chickens

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post November 14, 2007, 21:55
by ToHellWithWeeds!

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 39 queries.