Winter Squash

• 24 Replies

JohnB47

Winter Squash
« on: July 25, 2010, 22:57 »
I put down three 'Early butternut' and three 'crown prince' about a month ago. They were grown in pots first.

The thing is, the crown prince all have three or four fruits now but the butternut haven't even flowered yet. The smallest crown prince fruit is the size of a large grapefruit and the largest would be good enough even if it didn't grow any bigger. There are lots of what look like flower buds on the butternut but nothing more.

Is the butternut just a later flowering/fruiting variety? So much for 'early' butternut.

Cheers all.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Winter Squash
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 23:12 »
A lot of the veg we expect to be able to grow in our British climate aren't actually native to this country; sweetcorn is one example but is so popular (especially with me!) that the plant breeders have put an amazing amount of effort into selecting strains which can just about reliably deliver here.

Most squashes come from the Americas, butternut included, and I think the breeders have a bit of catching up to do as they are still a bit borderline here; they need everything going for them to really deliver in our climate at the moment, but it can and does happen ("early" is a bit of a euphemism in the UK!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 23:29 »
Hi John , just to let you know ... yours it not the only one without flowers , i have two plants on the go ... not a flower in sight , as Jay said these are grown in hot climates ... the ones we get from our supermarket are from Israel ... but you cant beat home grown stuff  :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 00:09 »
Down here in the dry often-sunny south my BNS are a wee bit behind - noticed the first fruits forming today.

There's not a great deal you can do other than water and wait at this time of the year.

Warmth and sunshine = a chance of some fine squash.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 00:27 »
Keep them fed and watered, and when there's any risk of frost, cover them with heavy fleece and there's a good chance you'll get the fruit quite late, perhaps early October even.

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 07:17 »
My B/S's went in a tad late and are rather lethargic,first time I've tried them,they were potted plants from a nursery so I'm not sure what variety exactly.They are growing but no sign of any flowers or fruits yet.
In contrast I've got some turks turbans....(not sure how palatable but they looked like fun).....which have exploded,fruits everywhere and no sign of slowing up,they have invaded the sweetcorn and broccoli and I know there are many invisible fruits amongst this lot waiting to be discovered :D.
Not too worried about the B/S's though,I reckon there's still another 2 months growing time hopefully.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 07:30 »
Exactly the same here!  Mind you I didn't help my Butternuts because I had to move them.  I thought they had died but they soon perked up.  No signs of flowers though.
I am seriously considering giving up on them now and using the space for something else.

Meanwhile Crown Prince is positively romping away and I have quite a few fruits looking big and healthy...

I know what I'll grow next year ....

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 07:48 »
I have fruits on my Cobnut but nothing on some that a friend gave me seed of (dunno what they are called, but both are Butternut Squash).  That seed is left over from last year and I had a huge harvest, just before the first frost, so I figure that they just do their stuff later - when they have made more grown to support the plant - the fruits were huge!

Hopefully yours are the same?

I water mine every day ...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 13:31 by Kristen »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 09:07 »
I've grown butternut for a few years now.

They always seem to sit there doing nothing, then when you take your eye off the ball - off they go. This year's no different, no flowers yet, but I expect them to take off.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 09:21 »
I've grown butternut for a few years now.

They always seem to sit there doing nothing, then when you take your eye off the ball - off they go. This year's no different, no flowers yet, but I expect them to take off.

Sounds dangerous; don't forget to notify Air Traffic Control!

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 09:22 »
Yeaaa, I must be doing something right for a change. My BNS all have three/four fruits on most bigger than grapefuit size :D  They're obviously liking our desert conditions ;)

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 10:12 »
some of mine have done little apart from bush out and up and abit of flowing, but I did notice the other day that two of the butternut squash plants have several fruit about 8" long at the moment. Which is great as I LOVE butternut squash
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

JohnB47

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 12:47 »
Thanks everyone.

Loks like nothing too unusual for mine to be a bit late. I'll just be patient. The crown prince are amazing though.

Cheers.

Pompey Spud

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 13:20 »
Nothing to worry about.

As DD said..BNS do nothing for sometime and than go mad. Found they cropped later than all my other squashes last year which was a wetter summer.

My Invincible (crown prince type) and turks turban are going mad. Cropped one TT for the show already.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 15:01 by Pompey Spud »
Top tip for camping....don't go.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 16:24 »
Me also...........butternuts just sitting there, a few male flowers but that's all........but the other types are doing well, with fruit setting and some getting quite fat already :lol:

xx
Winter Squash

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 10, 2012, 21:39
by sunshineband
xx
Winter Squash

Started by Tomatofreak on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 22:56
by mumofstig
xx
Winter squash - advice please

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 25, 2017, 21:13
by Thrutchington
xx
winter squash/pumpkin

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 19:30
by realfood

Page created in 0.382 seconds with 39 queries.