FIRE !!! Help please

• 11 Replies

brightgirls

FIRE !!! Help please
« on: February 26, 2012, 08:35 »
I know this may sound like a pretty basic question (sorry!)....  i want to burn a big pile of weeds I have accumalated on my plot.

I don't have one of those bins with holes in it. I thought I could just burn on the ground.  However several things worry me about this process.

Burn it direct on the ground?  I have got some lengths of corrugated metal - i could lay that on the floor and burn it.
How do I ensure when I leave the plot i dont return tomorrow to find I have burnt down everyones plot!!  I know this sounds extreme but having never done it before should i wet it down before i leave.
These are weeds previously treated with weed killer... should i bag up the ash or is it possible to re-use the ash?

Any advice to a first time "burner"

Thanks

Janeymiddlewife

Re: FIRE !!! Help please
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 09:04 »
Hello brightgirls. You can burn direct on the ground, obviously ensuring there is nothing that can "catch" if the wind changes direction, and as long as the ground is reasonably dry. I use a bin so don't have experience of building a fire, but others have offered advice before which you might find doing a search. If you used glycosphate my understanding is it is taken in through the leaves, so if you're digging the ash into the soil it shouldn't be a problem.
If you're worried then damp down before you go. I find long sticks and marshmallows help the process along  :D

Not sure if this needs moving elsewhere mods?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 09:50 »
I have moved this into here as it is to do with your plot and dealing with the weeds on it. Hopefully more people (besides JaneyMW) will see it here  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

LilacSandy

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 10:03 »
Hi Brightgirls,

When burning on the plot there are a few things to think about.   Is the pile of weeds dry as if it is damp you will create a plume of smoke.  Which way is the wind blowing, will the smoke go over a road or nearby gardens? Will it blow over your fellow plot holders?

Always make sure that the fire is out before you leave the plot.  Keep a bucket of water handy before you light the fire just in case.

To get the pile to light you will need air space so laying the weeds on twigs or scrunched up paper.  It is usually harder to get the pile to light than it would be to burn down someones building but do take precautions.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 10:05 »
I have a regular annual bonfire of stuff I've dried/stored and burn it directly on the ground in the centre of one of the beds.   I comply with what the council says about considering the neibhours with reference to wind strength and direction.

I normally sit on my chair listening to heavy metal and proggy rock tunes, getting up occasionally to bring the unburnt stuff into the centre.   When it's all burnt I spread it over the plot and rake in as much as I can.   This normally cools the ashes down to an acceptable level so I can slope off home without a care.    :D   Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 10:08 »
If the stuff you want to burn is all green and sappy, with no dry woody material in it, you will waste an awful lot of matches!

Best to get a good blaze going with some dry wood and then add the weeds a bit at a time, otherwise you will create a lot more smoke than fire. I wouldn't bother with the corrugated metal or worry about any residues from the weedkiller - I wouldn't feel that happy about leaving a lit bonfire, although with a proper fire you should be able to get it all burnt in one session anyway, (but if you don't just put it out with some water.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

BabbyAnn

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 15:43 »
Are you allowed to have a bonfire on your site?  Our site are strict and will only allow a bonfire (and even then we have to wait for confirmation) on the Saturday near Bonfire Night.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 19:24 »
firstly do you need to burn them , most councils have a green waste collection service and even treated with modern weed killers its bio degradable . or you can bag them up into black sacks leave in the sun for  a few weeks  then place in the sacks on the compost heap or leave in a heap  when they surface again in a year or so open the sacks and you should have some nice compost !
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

gobs

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 19:26 »
Are you allowed to have a bonfire on your site?  Our site are strict and will only allow a bonfire (and even then we have to wait for confirmation) on the Saturday near Bonfire Night.

The same here and as by Ilan, why don't you just compost them?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Ivor Backache

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 19:32 »
I have never had a need to burn weeds. You mention corrugated sheet. Spread your weeds on that and leave for a few days. They will dry up an you then compost them or bury them in a bean trench.

bigben

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 10:20 »
You could tie up the weeds in a black bag with a few holes punched into it and a brick to weight it down. Tie string to the top and plop into a water butt. This should drown the weeds and get a few nutrients into the water to give back to this years plants. After a few months compost the "slop" left in the bags.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 12:45 »
Sounds like a good start to a compost heap rather than burn it, as others have said.

Small word of caution. I know it's unlikely given the area Brightgirls lives in but best check that the area isn't on a peat bed, otherwise you could set that on fire and they can burn underground for months.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

xx
what to do with ash from fire

Started by puffinstuff on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post November 19, 2007, 10:08
by Annie
xx
Fire Ash

Started by Iceburg on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 14, 2011, 16:24
by Goosegirl
xx
Using my fire ash?

Started by JulieSh on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 24, 2008, 22:35
by Annie
xx
Coal Fire Ash

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 27, 2007, 22:24
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 35 queries.