• 24 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Fire to sterilise soil...
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 07:14 »
I admire your ingenuity Bing  :D

Just ask Heath Robinson to help with the construction of a stand for the magnifiers and then of to the Dragons' Den with you  :nowink: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

fiano60

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 08:55 »
There is a thread called "georges shed " there was a mention or 2
that showed how he sterilized his soil go have a read its a funny thread
if nothing else. :) Fiona

James Tepesh

• Happy Gardening :-)
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2019, 14:31 »
Hi I don't know if this is helpful to any one but i use fire to sterilize my allotment its fairly time consuming but i found it works a treat, i started the allotment 4 years ago and it had a heavy cover of weeds so i used a sheen flame gun to first burn them to kill them, then a week later i went back over after a hot week and re did it with the flame gun, it left a nice fine chard residue behind it also if you go over slow cooks the top inch or 2 of soil killing anything in that layer now after 4 years i hardly have a weed dare show up, all but the few blowing in from else were on the wind but i make it my annual clean up job, the other thing i do with the flame gun is if i have had a problem with club root i careful uproot the plants leaving the hole open and burn the localised areas that's suffering it, then i lightly turn just the localised area a couple times re-burning it and so far its worked quiet well, no idea if its just good luck or great management but i tend to go with what seems to work obviously it helps on other infestations too as long as your careful to try get all the effected area, now i have a really nice allotment that's much cleaner and easier to maintain.
Happy gardening.  :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 01:37 by James Tepesh »
James :-)

Growster...

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2019, 14:53 »
James, welcome!

This is really interesting, and could be the start of some more discussion on the subject!

As it's eight years since I posted all this, I've actually stopped allotmenteering, but there are plenty of people younger than me who are just starting out, so your advice will be extremely helpfull!

This is a great site (probably the best), for advice from chums on almost anything, so you let us know a bit more and we'll all learn something!

Best wishes!

snowdrops

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2019, 19:28 »
Hi James I’m pleased that approach is working for you & I have in the past used a weed wand for small areas. But last year I decided to go down the no dig route & became more interested in preserving the life under the soil, all the mycorrhizal fungi & bacteria’s & organisms that are essential to what I believe to be a healthy soil for healthy plants to thrive in. Just a different perspective for you to consider😊
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2019, 19:46 »
As usual Snows, you make some nice, deep points to consider!

Christine

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2019, 00:51 »
Just think of the reactions of the neighbours. Do they like bonfires?

Goosegirl

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2019, 13:12 »
Only if they have a lot of vanities to get rid of!  :lol: Seriously, the soil is the earth of life where there will always be a battle between the good and bad. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but at the end of the day Mother Nature always knows the way to create an equation that will eventually re-balance the Avery scales. Hopefully it will be in imperial measures rather than metric so us oldies can get the hang of it !  :)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

samuria

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2019, 14:12 »
i watched this done on the victorian kitchen garden.... harry heated the soil in a large bath type thing with a fire lit underneath. he said it was a good way to sterilise  the soil  ;)

Growster...

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2019, 20:40 »
Bonfires are the stuff of life.

From when families had to burn flea-ridden garments etc. to nowadays, when councils charge to carry away garden waste, they are a boon!

As long as the fire doesn't make misery for anyone, like neighbours etc., then shove it all on the flames, use the ash, and get on with your life!

Sterilising soil by burning has been around for ages, it's the cheapest way to get rid of bugs, disease and the rest, so do it and if you just have to say 'save the planet', then get on with it, and don't watch too much BBC.

xx
How can I sterilise the soil?

Started by Elsie on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 17:25
by tode
xx
what to do with ash from fire

Started by puffinstuff on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post November 19, 2007, 10:08
by Annie
xx
Fire Ash

Started by Iceburg on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 14, 2011, 16:24
by Goosegirl
xx
FIRE !!! Help please

Started by brightgirls on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 27, 2012, 12:45
by aelf

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 48 queries.