Advice please!

• 6 Replies

chillimummy

Advice please!
« on: July 25, 2019, 14:35 »
Just been to plot for first time since back from 3 week hols and although I expected that would need some work to catch up again, it is horrendous  :(
Got it in fairly good shape before I went and asked plot neighbour to water if needed.
Only one squash plant is now still there? and although planted my strawberries in straw and rabbit manure, can't see them for weeds  ;)
My overwintered onions are enormous and spring ones and shallots look great and my brassicas under debris netting really healthy.
Nothing else is there though  ;)
Beetroot, turnip, pak choi, radish are all gone.
So once I have tackled the weeds, will have lots of gaps with nothing growing. I know it's not too late for some crops but bit disheartening  :(
My question is do I go back to a half plot?
Had a half plot for 5 years or so with lovely plot neighbours around me and then took on the other half  2 years ago.
OH helps with rotovating but I do everything which is fine as it is my hobby, not his.
Was struggling though before hols as increased my hours at work in January, planning to retire in 5 years and my daughter also goes to uni in Sept.
Have spent last year trying to make plot more manageable with paths and piling rabbit manure on everything but the half I took over has lots of fruit bushes at the end and I've really struggled to tackle them as they were so overgrown when I took plot on, about a third are now surrounded by weed fabric and chippings.
Just seeing it today makes me wonder if going back to a half plot would mean it becomes a pleasure again instead of a chore at times.
I love my plot and it's always been my bit of peace and quiet. Under my plum tree, I've made a patio area with a bench so somewhere shady to sit.
So what to do?
The plot next to me has been split in two down the middle, my lovely plot adopted dad gave up his plot  :(
To say my new neighbour is odd is a small understatement ;) although I get more done as try to avoid getting into a conversation with her  :lol:
If mine was split in the middle then I could keep my plum tree and also the shed.
So do I persevere as once I've given it up, might not get a chance to get it back?
Or do I have a half that is still big enough for me but I make the most of every inch?
At home I have a garden both front and back with hedges and there doesn't seem enough time to keep on top of this too sometimes.
I was so excited to get a full plot but after today, I'm torn to know what to do?
Advice please  :(     

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

TonyB.

• Experienced Member
Re: Advice please!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 17:16 »
Retiring in 5 years? how about rotating "fallow" beds under fabric. This would cut the work load down and probably improve soil no end.

snow white

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 08:14 »
You have the same problems as me.  I won't hijack your thread but suffice to say I could have written every word.  (I think I would remember, but you never know :lol:) .  I try not to go away for very long in the growing season, but I ask my son to water if I do.  (He is 19 so I won't have that luxury for too long before he moves out).  I did give up half my plot for a year but the person who took over did nothing so I ended up trying to keep on top of the weeds his side so I took it back from him when he gave up the following year.  It is a constant battle with the weeds.  My parsnips and swede bed just grew weeds so I have given up on them, cleared them and covered in plastic till next year.  Germination was pants this year so i have ended up buying a lot of plants in.  Birds have plucked many plants out the ground, young courgette plants included and anything that I hadn't netted or weighed down with bricks around the roots.  :( >:(
Watering has not been too bad as we have had enough rain to make my job easier, last year was hard though.  I have been trying to make the plot less work by arranging things differently, having wider paths which i intend to cover in plastic.  So have a long look at your plot and see if you can organise it so that there are fewer weeds.  Can you get the tough membrane to grow plants through? That is part of my plan.  Continue putting the membrane around the fruit bushes.  You could just put black plastic down on bits you can't handle at the moment.  If you retire in 5 years then that is  not a long time to wait until you will have loads of time to do things at your pace.  Failing that, then cut your plot in half and just start enjoying it again.  Remember that you have a few months to decide this.  The answer will come to you before you need to make this decision. 

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 08:31 »
Good advice from people who have been in the same position as you  CM, and I can echo the thought of don't give it up as you will probably not get that space back again

The other thing to consider is how your plot is actually organised, as several beds all the same dimensions with paths easy to walk along between them make is easier to feel you are in control than lots of large areas in my experience, plus if you have made a cover for one bed, it will fit any of them in the next season and so on. I cover all the beds that do not have overwintering crops, weigthing down black plastic (which I have used again and again for years) as this stops the soil getting soaking wet and nutrients leaching downwards in very wet Winters, as well as restricting weed growth

If you do this, as the new season unfolds, only uncover beds you are going to plant. Make a list of what you can reasonably expect to manage and some crops can be planted through holes in landscape membrane (This lets water through to the roots) which will reduce weeding too.

Hope that helps. It is soul destroying to come back from holiday and find lots of your crops dried and dead. If your plot neighbour is not able to manage watering for you as well as their own plot, try to recruit a couple of friends who woud do this for you and perhaps involve them a little bitearlier in the season with jobs that are self contained ie planting potatoes  or onion sets for example as then they might be confident to help when you are away
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 12:02 »
CM, reading your post I've had the same experience with my rather large garden and veg areas. I was always able to manage it but later on it became a chore rather than a pleasure. Personally I'd go for half the plot which you can tend without too much trouble and hopefully no bother from your odd neighbour. There are some people on this forum who've either reduced or given up their plot and haven't regretted it one bit. One more thing to consider (and I apologise if this doesn't comes across as I mean it to) as we get older it takes longer to do things so you don't have as much time to go out with pals, have a snooze under a tree, or whatever pleases you because you're continually being nagged by the imp on your shoulder who keeps saying "There's jobs to do"! You've been there and done it so take it easy on yourself.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

chillimummy

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 00:56 »
Thankyou all so much for your lovely, really helpful replies. :D
I do have some time until I decide for sure  because what few things are growing  ;), are spread around anyway.
Last year was when I started putting paths in so I think that could be an an idea, to widen the paths and add more.
Have a supply of chippings near me at minimal cost.
I suppose another issue is that if I give up half of my plot, it could end up overgrown then if I had it back, it's more work.
Before I took over my extra half plot, I watched that getting worse.
When I first had an allotment, a lot of older retired people had plots and I did feel the pressure to have a perfect plot  ;)
Working shifts. I'm a nurse, and having children meant plot time varied hugely although until I increased my hours at work, this had got better.
Also going away for 3 weeks was post GCSE's and A levels so was a one off event.
Many of the plots on my site have now changed hands as happens and that pressure is definitely less  :lol:
Most of the plots now are showing that people are struggling.
My OH thinks I should keep the whole plot as he knows how much I love it.
Need to try and increase his help I think  :lol:
This year also I have had a regular supply of rabbit manure and as soon as an area became bare, I piled that on, trying a bit of no dig. This then should help weed supression next year.
I think I will see how things feel in next few months.
Thanks again for your help, really given me things to think about and great ideas  :)   

snow white

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 07:51 »
You are very welcome  :D.  Glad to help a fellow struggler. 

xx
Seed potatoes - advice and general advice on how to start an allotment

Started by barnowl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 17:34
by kloggs
xx
Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.

Started by Devondumpling on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 19:54
by snowdrops
xx
Pea advice

Started by chicken on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 20:42
by chicken
xx
Sorry could I have some advice please?

Started by veggienut on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 10, 2009, 16:47
by veggirl

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 40 queries.