Possible for a Hen to not like Corn?

• 5 Replies

MrTwang

Possible for a Hen to not like Corn?
« on: March 27, 2012, 07:12 »
After giving little bits of corn to the girls in the evening I have noticed one of them (bully girl) doesn't seem to bothered about it!
I was hoping all would get used to the sound of the corn tub and use it to train them...

Is it possible she just doesn't like corn...?

8doubles

Re: Possible for a Hen to not like Corn?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 08:24 »
I think in a small flock you notice that they have individual preferences for food more. They can 'go off' foods for a while and also can take a long time to get to like them in the first place.
If i throw an uprooted brassica in the run most of the hens dive on the leaves but the top hen always goes to the roots looking for a worm.
One of my hens would kill for a tomato but the top hen lets her have it preferring to peck up the seeds she drops.

All down to individual tastes. :)

SMS6

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 13:20 »
one of my four seemed to go off corn towards the end of last year, she'd still come running with the others when I rattled the corn.  She'd have a look what it was I was offering and then turn away and usually go for the layers pellets.

Now she's back to eating it again so it will be interesting to see if she goes off it again later

MrTwang

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 22:41 »
I'll keep at it then! Just giving the 6 of them only one small handfull as I also don't want them to get too used to it (being a treat and all that)!

What's the best way to get them responding to the sound of the corn? Would just shaking the tub before treat time be sufficiant? They don't respond to it yet but that have only had corn for the last 3 days...

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 08:21 »
The rattle of a plastic tub is good but calling the hens to you is better as you do not always have the corn tub to hand.

Most of the time they should come running to you directly they see or hear you, feed them treats individually from your hand and you will not have to " Here Chook Chook" very often.

SMS6

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 13:24 »
Mine come running as soon as they hear the back door open but yes I rattle the corn and chook chook chook if by chance they haven't heard the door.

xx
Corn

Started by sally10 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 19:46
by k4t1e195
xx
corn

Started by k4t1e195 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 12:18
by dizzylizzie
xx
Cracked Corn

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 09:33
by Foxy
xx
another corn query

Started by treecol on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 14, 2015, 21:56
by Beekissed

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 38 queries.