Hardneck Garlic question

• 10 Replies

JohnB47

Hardneck Garlic question
« on: October 20, 2010, 14:28 »
I read an article in last Saturdays Telegraph that said that hardneck garlic throw up a seed head and that this should be nipped off to allow the bulb to bulk up. It also said that softneck varieties don't do this.

Just interested - does this mean that all hardneck garlic will do this and that no softneck will? Or is it a case of hardnecks being more prone to it than softneck?

The same article said that, to get a garlic that will store the longest, you should plant in Jan/Feb. Is this realistic? Even here in balmy Devon, I suspect that garlic planted then would just sit in the cold ground sulking.

Goosegirl

Re: Hardneck Garlic question
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 16:38 »
Hard necks do throw up a flower stem - my OH bought some pink hardneck French garlic from the supermarket which looks beautiful, and I will save a clove or two to try in the garden, though some don't recommend planting supermarket stuff. I always plant my softneck garlic cloves in late Oct to Nov so that they can get established before Crimbo and the later cold - they are really hardy and shouldn't sulk. Jan-Feb to me is a bit late and I've not heard that before, though others may correct me.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 17:32 »
You're right, softnecks don't produce a 'flower head' of new bulbils as does the hardneck types. That is because the softneck produces a smaller head with smaller cloves, and its growth is dominantly affected by what it needs: shorter daylight hours and hotter growing period. Devon may be balmy, but not quite enough for softnecks which need actual heat do do best. You'll get some growth in balmy temps, but not as good as hot temps (80-90F+). This is why hardnecks do better in the UK as they detest hot weather and need longer daylight hours of the new year.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 20:45 »
Actually, this question has been bothering me this year. I grew Solent Wight, which is a softneck variety, yet most of the bulbs threw up a flower stem with a nice curly scape. The bulbs came from Suttons, so I wouldn't have thought they'd have got it wrong, but I've never had this happen before.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 22:48 »
It's related to the same problem - the softneck variety didn't get its usual needs and because its growing schedule was thrown off, it produce a flower head. Normally softnecks are grown in hot areas in fall and spring and growing times are short to avoid really cool and really hot spells. Yours grew through the winter and into summer.

JohnB47

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 14:42 »
Thanks everyone. Trillium makes an interesting point that hardnecks do better in the UK. Never heard that before.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 14:48 »
Me neither - you live and learn! Last year's softneck garlic was a good harvest but this year's was pants!

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 15:35 »
Thanks everyone. Trillium makes an interesting point that hardnecks do better in the UK. Never heard that before.

If you remember that garlic originated in Siberia, then it all makes sense.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 15:50 »
If they come from Siberia they should cope with our winters....no problem :)

JohnB47

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 18:56 »
You know, the more I read about the various varieties of fruit and vegetables and the supposed best growing conditions for them, the more I seem to be confused. I like to think carefully about what I plant but often I've chosen and then I read about some other best variety/growing condition/don't do this/make sure to do that/rotate/don't bother to rotate - I feel like my head is rotating!  :wacko:

I think I'll eventually get to the stage of just sticking them in the ground and seeing what happens. Not there yet though.

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
Re: Hard neck Garlic question
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 19:46 »
The Really Garlicky garlic farm in the North of Scotland, grows hard neck porcelain Music garlic, and they did the best for me last year in Glasgow with our hard Winter.
I am doing a garlic trial this Winter and have planted some 10 different varieties of garlic. All were sold as being suitable for planting in the Autumn.

clip
hardneck garlic

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 20, 2018, 13:04
by mumofstig
xx
Music hardneck garlic

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post September 05, 2010, 17:11
by mumofstig
xx
Hardneck Garlic Scapes

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 23:24
by PennyS
xx
hardneck garlic scapes

Started by Deano27 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 18, 2008, 15:16
by Trillium

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 40 queries.