Hessian Sacks

• 7 Replies

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Hessian Sacks
« on: September 06, 2009, 11:23 »
Dont know if Im telling people how to suck eggs...  ??? :D

But rather than buying shop bought (usually small) hessian sacks, go to your local fabric shop and buy hessian direct.  I bought mine for the grand total of £6 and have 3 1m x 2m sacks full of lovely King Eddies. 
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Larkshall

• Experienced Member
Re: Hessian Sacks
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 20:10 »
I made mine out of Taram (weed control fabric) which my neighbour (a road contractor) gave me. It doesn't rot, it's black so the potatoes don't go green.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 20:15 »
Thanks Larkshall

Can you wash that stuff?

Rosy

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 21:39 »
Don't know if this helps but our sacks came from the local pet shop as their bird seed is delivered in them and they just throw them out when they are finished with them
Clueless but learning

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 21:29 »
The problem with the plastic/poly type sack is that they don't breathe well and produce inside tends to rot quickly, particularly near the bottom where air flow is non-existent. Apples, which give off lots of ethylene gas, will rot very quickly in non-hessian sacks.
So there's a reason why its seeds and animal feed you find in the poly type sacks.

For spuds and carrots I much prefer hessian, and making your own is the cheapest route, particularly if you catch the fabric in sales.

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 23:28 »
I bought several from Ebay (are we allowed to say that?)... they've lasted ages and were quite cheap as each had a mis-print on the front..  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 00:18 »
A word of warning though on hessian sacks - never ever run them through the washing machine  :(.....unless you want a handful of rubbish. Any that need washing should be soaked in a basin and squeezed out or run only through the spin cycle of the washer, never the washing part. Learned that one the hard way.   :nowink:

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 10:56 »
We are saving the big paper sacks that our chook feed comes in - to store veg in this year.  Didn't have anything to store last year, chooks ate it! :)
1 lovely hubby, 3 dogs, a bunny and 7 ex batts and a shiny new lottie!  (so far)

xx
Cheap hessian spud sacks

Started by Swing Swang on Frugal Living

2 Replies
Last post March 18, 2009, 19:25
by spottymint
xx
Mail Sacks

Started by little sweetpeas on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2007, 10:15
by Beanzie
xx
potato sacks

Started by hermon on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post January 07, 2009, 11:12
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 39 queries.