Strategy for starting new rhubarb?

• 4 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Strategy for starting new rhubarb?
« on: April 26, 2024, 01:06 »
I bought a couple new roots of Valentine rhubarb a couple months ago. Pickings were slim at the garden center but I found 2 scrawny roots that seemed to show more life than the others. I direct-planted them to fill some gaps in the rhubarb bed, amended with compost and kept them moist. 

There was nothing showing after a month, so I found a much larger (more expensive; variety Crimson Red) root at a different garden center. Planted it the same way.

Today, I determined the more expensive had rotted. Meanwhile, the Valentine scrawny roots have at least sprouted.

I think the issue might be that straight planting in the ground, it is difficult to evenly control moisture. Sometimes I get rot, sometimes not. I hope I don't need to fill in again, but if I do (next year), I was thinking of putting roots in pots of open but moist compost & sand and setting them in the open door of the garage (light, but no rain). I can control the moisture, and not risk things getting soggy/rotting. When the plant gets some size to it, I can plant it out.

Do you think I will get better survival this way?
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Strategy for starting new rhubarb?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2024, 09:31 »
Bad luck, that's a difficult one tbh.
Here in the UK I've always just planted them and left them to it, on various soil types. Are you covering the crown of the the plant, as that should be at/just above soil level?

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 09:34 »
I reckon they stand a better chance as planting into an existing bed means they will be exposed to a lot of old rotting rhubarb roots which may encourage rotting in the new root damaged by transplanting. I never have any problem transplanting rhubarb into new ground, it’s seems to be one of the hardiest things around.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 17:30 »
I had roots rot away like that, so bought a pack of seed and grew them that way instead - they're easy to grow from seed and are still going strong!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2024, 17:53 »
Bad luck, that's a difficult one tbh.
Here in the UK I've always just planted them and left them to it, on various soil types. Are you covering the crown of the the plant, as that should be at/just above soil level?

Yes, planting is exactly as you say, crown is at soil level or slightly higher.

Sometimes squirrels digging in the beds do temporarily cover the crowns. I uncover when I see that.

Planting and leaving them to it was what I was going for with these 3 roots. I guess 2 out of 3 surviving isn't too bad.

xx
Rhubarb advice: starting small bare root plants

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2022, 22:16
by Subversive_plot
xx
Exit strategy

Started by HLS on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 16:28
by Agatha
xx
Pea netting strategy?

Started by snooziebunny on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2014, 22:12
by Jackypam
xx
Do you have a weeding 'strategy'

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post March 07, 2009, 15:15
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 41 queries.