to buy or not to buy that is the question ?

• 3 Replies

rowlandwells

to buy or not to buy that is the question ?
« on: March 17, 2019, 08:53 »
as its coming up to spring all our thoughts as far as gardening and I mean flower gardening is concerned you are probably like me looking for summer colour so do you grow your own plants from seed or buy in or a  mix and match say grow so many that's easy to grow and buy those less easy to raze in the greenhouse say plug plants do you buy your plants from a nursery or mail order or others

or are you a shrub person who's garden is full of perennial's that flower as we go through the season and last but not least do you think the younger generation have  as much interest in a flower garden as us older generation

Christine

Re: to buy or not to buy that is the question ?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 10:47 »
I'm a shrub and perennial person in the back garden. Some things were there when I arrived and have been left as I like them. Bulbs have been added and cuttings are useful if a space happens. I do have a packet of ladybird poppies to fill in a space later in the year. But the small back garden is really space for the small greenhouse and the lawn to walk under the washing line occurs.

My family is fairly interested in gardening - youngest daughter has a small and windswept front area full of shrubs that stand the wind. Other daughter likes a garden but does like to have it done for her. One son earns from gardening but prefers fruit trees for food to a lot of plants for his own space. Other boy lives in an upstairs flat with no garden at present. He has tried in the past when he had the facility.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 13:04 »
I usually buy flower seeds that are easy to grow but I get plug plants for things such as petunias and begonias because they can be a bit iffy to germinate. I get my plugs from Gardening (or Jersey) Direct as they're very good value for money and often have some good offers at this time of year. Our little supermarket buy in locally-raised plants and I can get a plastic modular tray of 6, 8 or 12 for around £3 - £5 depending on the variety. It really all depends on how many plants I want for a particular place.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 13:35 »
we have found Parkers plants hart to beat but you pays your money you takes your choice  :D

xx
question?

Started by coo! on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 19:11
by mumofstig
xx
Rhododendron question

Started by monsta on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 21:47
by DavidT
xx
Citronella question

Started by Plot 1 Problems on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post July 19, 2021, 22:20
by Subversive_plot
xx
silly question ?

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post November 16, 2007, 19:01
by muntjac

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 38 queries.