"Nature Watch (other than birds)"

• 625 Replies

Auntiemogs

Re: "Nature Watch (other than birds)"
« Reply #195 on: August 03, 2014, 18:57 »
I feel like I'm missing out here as it all seems to be going on at Mum's this year...

She went to water the strawberries yesterday, and had to rescue a small (2ft) grass snake, which had become tangled in the netting.  Half an hour of patient snipping and it shot off under the shed.  Netting now disposed of - I do wish she'd checked it wasn't an adder first though (not that it would have made any difference... :ohmy: ::) :D
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #196 on: August 04, 2014, 22:25 »
Ripe sloes in a hedge in a field at Thruxton Circuit in Hampshire we noticed this morning ;) ;) :)

snowdrops

« Reply #197 on: August 05, 2014, 23:10 »
Garden club talk on bats tonight,the lady brought a hand reared bat for us to see then took her bat monitor(yes really) outside to see if she could detect any bats nearby & there was one flying round the pubs garden that you could see very clearly. A pipestrelle she informed us. Also a lovely kitten that I entertained so it wouldn't have a swipe at the bat.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Springlands

« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2014, 07:27 »
Garden club talk on bats tonight,the lady brought a hand reared bat for us to see then took her bat monitor(yes really) outside to see if she could detect any bats nearby & there was one flying round the pubs garden that you could see very clearly. A pipestrelle she informed us. Also a lovely kitten that I entertained so it wouldn't have a swipe at the bat.

What a lovely evening Snowy - that is one thing that I have missed this year. We have had very few bats flying around the garden in the evening.  :(

Springlands

« Reply #199 on: August 06, 2014, 07:29 »
Ripe sloes in a hedge in a field at Thruxton Circuit in Hampshire we noticed this morning ;) ;) :)

So autumn is slowly arriving. OH and I were out yesterday morning and noticed that the trees at Mount Stewart (National Trust place) were on the turn. And the grains in the fields are all a lovely golden colour.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #200 on: August 06, 2014, 11:58 »

So autumn is slowly arriving. OH and I were out yesterday morning and noticed that the trees at Mount Stewart (National Trust place) were on the turn. And the grains in the fields are all a lovely golden colour.

How quickly we forget. The grain/rape harvest has been in for weeks here, a sign of summer rather than autumn. Next in are sunflowers which are looking pretty sick in the fields at the moment. We are already eating pears and apples.

snowdrops

« Reply #201 on: August 06, 2014, 15:28 »

What a lovely evening Snowy - that is one thing that I have missed this year. We have had very few bats flying around the garden in the evening.  :(

It was a real treat :)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #202 on: August 06, 2014, 16:37 »

The fields are looking amazing in all this sunshine this year. It reminds me of my childhood when summers seemed to be proper summers.  :dry:

tosca100

« Reply #203 on: August 07, 2014, 10:00 »
AS we tend to go to bed before it is very dark in summer we don't see a lot of moths. But this huge hawk moth (having trouble finding out which one) was attracted to Dave's torch when he let the dogs out later than usual. A real beauty.

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #204 on: August 07, 2014, 11:38 »
Tosca it looks like a privet hawk moth to me . . but I could be wrong !  :blush: :blush: :blush:
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

Snoop

« Reply #205 on: August 07, 2014, 11:54 »

It was a real treat :)

Interesting. Just the other day I saw a flock of half a dozen or so bats swooping around outside, but they were the first I'd seen all year. We used to have them swoop in and out of the windows and get stuck sometimes in corners. Glad that hasn't happened this year (yet), but it was good to see them.

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #206 on: August 07, 2014, 11:59 »
we have had bats each summer evening over the rear garden but alas nothing this year . . and our garden and park squirrels are missing !!

tosca100

« Reply #207 on: August 07, 2014, 13:03 »
Tosca it looks like a privet hawk moth to me . . but I could be wrong !  :blush: :blush: :blush:

I have looked at so many photos but the wings are so much more clean cut with sharp veins than most of the pictures. Unfortunately there are a lot of hawk moths with a similar body. Pretty amazing thing though, makes a huge amount of noise.

RubyR3d

« Reply #208 on: August 07, 2014, 16:22 »
It has speckled grey wings and has brown colouring rather than pink on its abdomen. Its a convolvulus hawkmoth. :)

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #209 on: August 08, 2014, 08:28 »
a few shots from the rear garden yesterday in-between the rain showers . . just playing with the macro settings on the new camera .   :D
back garden & potting roses on with jane 002 reduce.jpg
back garden & potting roses on with jane 004 reduce.jpg
back garden & potting roses on with jane 009 reduce.jpg

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 55 queries.