New allotment

• 3 Replies

mdjlucan

New allotment
« on: December 17, 2015, 19:03 »
I went to the allotment today I know it's been raining really heavy I'll be in Essex Harlow so I thought I would turn the ground over when I turned one lump over it was like a big puddle in the bottom of it if I did I trench round the edge of the allotment all the water drain off is no water floating on top just underneath I will be much grateful thank you anyone can help
metal detector man

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Re: New allotment
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 19:13 »
You could have a hard 'pan' at a spit's depth perhaps... especially if you've got heavy clay soil.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardpan

Its one reason why some people double-dig. Something to consider if you don't do that...  ;)

Pip pip,
Balders

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 19:31 »
I wouldn't start worrying yet, we've already had nearly all of the rainfall we would expect for the whole month. The water table (the level of water in the soil) will be high right now and you'll only damage it by walking on it/digging it now.

The water does take a while to run through clay - on my old plot on clay, you had to dig in Autumn or wait 'til the soil was drying in Spring.
The RHS says
Warning: if worked or walked on when wet they lose their structure, and become puddled and compacted. Remedying this is slow and laborious; so damage should be avoided at all costs.

Techniques and tips if you garden on clay soil:
•Dig in autumn and early winter when relatively dry. Once wetted by winter rains, clay soils often cannot be worked or walked on until mid-spring
•Allow winter frosts to work on clay and break it down
•Where digging is required, it is traditional in wet regions to dig clay into narrow ridges to allow more frost activity and better drainage
•There is often only a brief period when clay soils are workable between waterlogged soils after winter and baked hard clay from late spring
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=620

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 23:39 »
I'm on heavy clay & I can't work my plot now until the water has drained away. For me that's usually around late March. At least it gives some time to plan next year... ;)

clip
Ive got a allotment!!!

Started by TheOnlyGothInTheVillage on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post June 12, 2014, 07:31
by TheOnlyGothInTheVillage
xx
what can i sow now in my allotment

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 08:50
by pawsnclaws
xx
Allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 18, 2016, 20:13
by AnnieB
xx
new allotment

Started by bonjives on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 20, 2007, 09:57
by grunt&groan

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 40 queries.