bit of a quandary

• 2 Replies

chrissie B

bit of a quandary
« on: March 07, 2009, 19:26 »
we have just dug out our lovely compost ad are drying it in the sun a bit before digging it in , now then the Greek lady next door says not to use my compost where i put my food plants and only on the flowers because we have 2 dogs that use the garden , we put our grass cuttings on our heap as well as other stuff , as we have had a dog for years and have used our compost all over the garden i now realise why she wont accept any veg from us .
does anyone have any idea if putting my cuttings on my heap will cause us any health problems for years now shes watched us cut the grass and put the cuttings on the heap so I'm a bit bemused .i would appreciate a quick reply if anyone knows anything .
Chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Trillium

Re: bit of a quandary
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 21:51 »
While I'd never put actual dog droppings on the compost, it's impossible to know where they've peed. I put all my grass into the compost and my dog pees everywhere she feels like it, except the veg  garden where she knows she's forbidden. If people are going to be this picky, then you could find countless reasons not to use other items for compost.....the leaves are too dusty, those bits might have bird poop on them, there's a squished fly on that bit, and worst of all..you're actually using old animal s**t!?
Bottom line: I'm alive and feeling just fine despite some inevitable dog pee getting into my compost. Heck, a lot of men will pee directly into compost to activate it so where does one draw the difference?
I'd say forget giving that neighbour any veg as she'll never change her mind or beliefs. Find someone else who isn't so fussy and is more appreciative.

chrissie B

Re: bit of a quandary
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 09:43 »
well trillium I'm with you , she probably doesn't know what they spray on the fields around here and the fact that the cats she feeds ,(strays )all use her garden as a toilet , but with 7 years of experience of the Greek people is to take the advice , be gracious then sneak out in the dead of night and dig into the veg plot which is what i will have to do or in the blistering heat when the siesta time is on , you do know that the saying mad dogs and englishmen go out in the mid day sun must have started here because its the only time of day you can get things done without interruption and advice which is stuff you already know lol :) :) :)
Chrissie b

xx
A tomato quandary.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2019, 09:59
by jambop
xx
Bit of a strawberry quandary

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 28, 2018, 12:43
by Goosegirl
xx
Cabbage White Quandary

Started by Fisherman on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 26, 2011, 15:53
by BabbyAnn
xx
Main potato quandary

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2021, 10:43
by Debz

Page created in 0.402 seconds with 38 queries.