Land purchase.

• 13 Replies

Miranda Luck

• Rescue Review
Land purchase.
« on: March 22, 2011, 13:18 »
Hi there
My property backs onto a small field.  I'm wondering about the possibility of purchases a small strip of it from the present owner so that I could perhaps take on some chickens. Before tracking down the owner and approaching him, I would like to know how much the land could cost and if I can afford it! Is there a way to find out approximate costs? If so - how? 
Any suggestions please?
Thinking of getting a pet? Why not give 'rescue' a try before you breed or buy!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Land purchase.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 13:37 »
You don't say where you are, so I will assume England. What part of England will even vary this a lot, but I would count on £6000.00 minimum per acre for agricultural land. You could search out a local agent to make general enquiries prior to contacting the landowner.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 14:19 »
and some farmers will also (now they know you want some land) double their price  :(.
Staffies are softer than you think.

stompy

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 14:23 »
Land on average around Hull is £4500 per acre.

pigeonpie

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 15:05 »
As Joyfull says the average is about £6500 per acre but a lot of that depends on how the land can be used.  Small fields suitable for horses can fetch around £20,000 an acre round here and one plot of land with a small stone barn (about 2 1/2 acres) sold a few years ago for £85,000.
Having said that, my in-laws recently sold a small section of one of our grazing fields to someone whose house backed on to the field.  The area in question was a funny shaped bit that went in between the back of a couple of houses, was prone to nettles and was littered in stones so wasn't deemed as being of any importance.  I believe a few hundred pounds were paid for an area about 40 metres by 10.
At the end of the day, land is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it...

What is the land currently used for?  Could you consider approaching the owner to see about renting it instead?

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 15:08 »
Joyfull gets the blame for everything. ;) :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 16:44 »
well sometimes it is actually her fault  :lol:

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 16:54 »
But not on this occasion. ;) :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 17:04 »
it's never my fault - honest  :tongue2:

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 17:35 »
 :D

pigeonpie

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 20:41 »
D'oh!  Sorry Joyfull and Argyllie  :wub:

I'd like to blame it on the fact that I had really bad concussion last week after an accident snow boarding....  (that and the fact that I am just generally stoopid!!!) 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 21:59 »
Always a good idea to check out the planning permission situation with the land you're considering buying - whether your proposals would take it beyond what its current permission is.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Miranda Luck

• Rescue Review
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 18:31 »
Great. Many thanks for the advice. I'm in Surrey and from what I've heard the land owner is pretty savvy when it comes to selling to a 'townie'.  I shall do some research! Thanks again.

JohnB

Re: Land purchase. FACTS
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 09:55 »
Hi there
My property backs onto a small field.  I'm wondering about the possibility of purchases a small strip of it from the present owner so that I could perhaps take on some chickens. Before tracking down the owner and approaching him, I would like to know how much the land could cost and if I can afford it! Is there a way to find out approximate costs? If so - how? 
Any suggestions please?

A/ Average Lincolnshire Wolds prices for arable land is £7000 an acre. FACT which no one on here seems to "respect" is that it is the average price as everyone is quoting but what they are failing to quote is you need to buy 500 acres + to get it at that price??
B/ If farmer Giles was to sell at that price for 1 acre he would be getting at best half, if that IE Solicitors costs (a lot of solicitors are not happy about working for both sides i.e. you made both need one) next he will have to pay for the surveyor who will not only have to value but will also have to draw up the actual land plan and deeds which have to pay to have registered. If I was farmer Giles I would have better things to do with my time.
C/ Quoting land prices and not building land prices?? The actual value of the land is the value it puts on your house. On Lincolnshire Wolds that could easily be £20,000 an acre. I have seen an acre go for that and not attached to a house just for horses to graze. I have bought  a very small piece behind my house for £2400 and this included all the cost but to get down to that she (the land owner) had to reduce the price so that the solicitor had to use a fixed the maximum price rule for charging both of us. I have measured the land but can’t remember the size. If needed will measure again. It is very steep and will need terracing so that reduced the price.

Page created in 2.222 seconds with 39 queries.