Where to start! So many Questions!!

• 3 Replies

Benny130

• Experienced Member
Where to start! So many Questions!!
« on: March 26, 2012, 13:09 »
Hi everyone. So im very exited to have got my allotment. Have started diggiing over so I can get cracking this year before it has a big makeover ready for next season. I am ready lots on here trying to find out the best way to do things but still have some questions!! I am a total newbie and only experiance is with tomatos last year!!

So my plan this year is to grow Runner beans, Carrots, Courgettes, Cucumbers, Spring onions Shallots, Radishes, Peas, Lettuce and some Rocket. (Blimey not sure im going to have enough space!)

Can someone tell me what i should get cracking with first and what varieties I should look out for? Also im looking around at buying seeds but there is a massive difference in price from people like suttons and people on ebay.

Heeelllllpppp!!  :)

Nikkithefoot

Re: Where to start! So many Questions!!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 13:58 »
Your choice of seed supplier and specific variety is up to you. Wilkos and other places do them very cheaply and many people have great success with them.

Radish, peas, carrots, shallot sets, spring onions, rocket and lettuce can be sown now (it does depend a little where you are i the country). Runners, cucumbers and courgettes shouldn't be sown just yet, possibly in another week or threes time.

Only grow what you will eat, and as the years go by you can start experimenting with different veg to see if you like it or not.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Truffle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 15:59 »
Aldi are very cheap for seeds, normally starting around 30p-40p, but you have to get them when you see them, they dont hang round for long.

Radishes and lettuce grow really quickly so you can plant them in places you are saving for produce that needs planting later (believe they call it inter-cropping???)

I am presently sowing beans, peas, tomato, cucmber and leeks in pots/trays in the greenhouse for transplanting to the allotment later in the year and about to plant out in the allotment salad, onions, early potatoes, early carrots and parsnips.

As Nikkithefoot said it does depend on where you are in the country, so as a precaution I have saved some seeds and will sow some more in a few weeks this also staggers production.

Last year was my first year with an allotment (have grown at home previously) and I got a little carried away so my advice is do a little and take notes, then next year you will have a good idea of numbers, space and varieties. Good Luck

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 18:39 »
Morrisons have quite a good selection of seeds at just 59p each, plus some cheap planters and windowsill propagators.

xx
New Start Allotment - Questions...

Started by NorfolkVeg on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 20, 2011, 19:34
by DD.
xx
A few PSB questions

Started by Robert_S on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 11, 2012, 11:23
by digalotty
xx
A few questions

Started by welsh boyo on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 05, 2008, 12:23
by gobs
xx
pea questions :-)

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 14:56
by new_2_veg

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 34 queries.