Sweet Potato Time 2012

• 165 Replies

allotment south wales

• welcome
    • allotment grower
Re: Sweet Potato Time 2012
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2012, 20:15 »
remember to use slug pellets or nemaslug control on planting   :(   

last year due to my own fault    trying to keep everything organic above the ground the plant was great in the polytunnel -  upon digging them up i had 20% of the crop the slugs had the rest...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 20:17 by allotment south wales »
keep it organic and you will see the difference including taste......

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
    • allotmentforaginghomebrewadventures
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2012, 20:22 »
I have a few wispy bits of root and what looks like the start of more robust ones below the water line...
and above it there are a few, very small (1-2mm), purplish bumpy bits emerging, kinda like the beginnings of 'eye sprouts' on a normal potato... could these be shoots starting  :unsure: I hope so :D

Trillium

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2012, 22:42 »
Sounds like eye sprouts; these are what you really want because when they're large enough, you'll twist them off and pot them up, then plant them out.

Emmie

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2012, 11:49 »
I am a little confused about my sweet potatoe as I started it off int he middle of December and have had no roots appear however I have a dozen purple sprouts from the top. Over the last few weeks they do not seem to be getting any bigger however they still look healthy, I have changed the water each week and was wondering if adding some liquid plant food to the water (like miracle gro) may help. 

Trillium

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2012, 16:37 »
No, don't add any fertilizers. The potato itself is the plant's food source.

Sometimes the top sprouts come out first, though not usually. Consider yourself lucky and be patient. You can't speed this up as the tuber is bypassing the base root portion and needs time to compensate. Three's still plenty of time for the top growth.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2012, 12:18 »
Still got most of last year's "crop" in a plastic bag in the bottom of my "glory hole" cupboard, although they look to be in remarkably good condition.

That probably says a lot about how much I enjoy (skinny) sweet potatoes, but then again I wouldn't have to buy another one to start again...........

Grew them in a couple of bags of old compost (with added PCM and Growmore) last year so might just try 1 bag this year to see if I can get them to a bigger size.  :unsure:

Decided to have another go with one of last year's tubers and although it only seems to have produced two shoots they have romped away and are nearly a foot long now!  :ohmy:

This is way too early given that I wouldn't even consider putting them in the greenhouse for another 2 months - will have to pot them up soon and if all goes well will try to give away the spare in the Swap Shop (will obviously have to be someone in my area who can collect.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

brianthomas

« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2012, 12:44 »
hello folks
  this is my first time on the blog as I am new to the forum
have been reading last years ancers to the task of growing sweet potatoes
I have had a garden /allotment for 20 years + but never tried sweet pots.
I am in the vale of york is there anybody around here that has had any successwith growing them any advice would be welcome  thanks bt
 ::)                                                                               

Trillium

« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2012, 20:22 »
I don't live in the UK so can't help you there, but I do know that in the UK you'll need a warm sheltered spot with 4 months of heat to do well with sweet potatoes. They're a bit slow and are almost a tropical plant.

I highly recommend dedicating a small hooped area or covered cold frame not in use to grow them in. They need lots of heat units to grow as well as enriched soil and some regular watering if under a shelter. A greenhouse will work nicely but few people have the space to spare for the S.P. which spreads a thick mat of vine-like tops.

Geordie

« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2012, 20:48 »
I think we have lift off.....  :)
SweetPotatoSprouting (600 x 800).jpg

brianthomas

« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2012, 22:02 »
thanks trillian , what are your thoughts on making a hot pit/trench full of rubbish.
 Idid this a few years ago with cellery , that will warm the soil and a closh polly tunnel on top ---suckcess? or the dreams of an aging gardener  bt

Trillium

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2012, 22:06 »
A hot pit would be ideal, especially if you can cover it most of the time to contain the heat. Sweet potatoes love heat in the 90's and 100's F.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2012, 22:10 »
I had to have words with mine today...nearly two months on a south-facing windowsill and nowt.  >:(  I've given it two weeks and then it's in the oven!  :tongue2:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Trillium

« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2012, 16:02 »
 :lol: :lol:

They can be very slow, auntiemogs. My new potato last year took almost 3 months to sprout, probably from growth inhibiting stuff.

RobertSongs

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2012, 09:17 »
I started two one has lots of roots coming through and the other one is doing next to nothing..both were from the same packet bought from morrisons..
The Quest For Curry Leaf Continues

Lady Rosemary

• Experienced Member
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2012, 12:35 »
YAY!  I have roots on two of the three I started off .... need to change the water however as I think that may help them along a little better.  One of the three (the one that isn't doing anything at all) has a water beard at the base .... lol.  Guess I need to give that little chap a shower when I get home!

'Tis very very exciting indeed!  :D
~Remember What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it.~

xx
The Great sweet potato experiment! 2010

Started by aelf on Growing FAQs and other Information

182 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 22:16
by mumofstig
xx
sweet potatoes 2011

Started by Trillium on Growing FAQs and other Information

154 Replies
Last post October 24, 2011, 21:18
by Trillium
xx
sweet potatoes (kumara)

Started by always_mowing on Growing FAQs and other Information

5 Replies
Last post February 13, 2010, 16:15
by Trillium

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 49 queries.