greenhouse location on the allotment

• 11 Replies

breizhcymru

greenhouse location on the allotment
« on: August 17, 2011, 09:09 »
Hello,
I have just been allocated an allotment plot, which is quite small (about 8mx10m) and roughly a straightforward North/South orientation.
I am also getting the opportunity to place a greenhouse on the plot. The plot is not shaded in any way so there is no obvious place where to put the greenhouse, except that, to maximise the growing space, it will probably have to be in one of the corners of the plot.
I envisage to grow tomatoes, aubergines, peppers and cucumbers in the greenhouse.
There will also be 2 water butts by the greenhouse as there is no water on site.
Given all this background, and to maximise crops, what is the best way to place the greenhouse :
Facing shouth lengthwise or
facing south widthwise ?

Also, the cucumbers will probably grow quite tall and shade any area next to the greenhouse. Any idea what to grow outside, on the side of the cucumbers ?

Thanks for helping me out on this as once the greenhouse is in situ, it won't move again !!

Best regards

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: greenhouse location on the allotment
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 11:58 »
The usual answer to orientating rows of plants or greenhouses in an open situation is to have the long axis north-south which gives even illumination as the sun tracks west to east.

That's not necessarily what you want with a greenhouse getting no shade from nearby objects because it is more likely to overheat, and it can be helpful to have a less well illuminated side because not everything likes full sun.

Mine faces N-S because it is very close to a 6' hedge on the west side but in your situation I'd probably go for E-W.

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

savbo

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 12:44 »
I'd site it near the north end of the plot so it's not shading much land, but far enough back from the boundary that you've got a bit of space behind it for shade-loving things like spinach or a cold frame

kosh42|EFG

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 14:10 »
Not sure on the best answer in terms of plants, but my answer would be as far as possible from the boundary fence, ideally out of stone throwing range from it...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 14:17 »
Funnily enough, I'd position it so that you do get some shade from it, either for you to sit and relax in during those sweltering days ( :lol: ) or for those that grow better with some shade eg mint.

and which way is the prevailing wind? Ours is NW, for example. You wouldn't wnat the door to face the wind really.

Lots to think about  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

breizhcymru

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 15:14 »
Hello,

Thanks for all the replies so far.
My plot is bang in the middle of the allotment so the perimeter fence does not really apply to me. Also, the allotment is completely surrounded by houses (I forgot to say it is a small site of about 10 plots), so it is very sheltered (from the wind and from stones...).
I love the idea of getting some shade to put a bench out... but franfly I really need every bit of the plot to work hard given it is such a small size so sitting area/shed/wide paths are out of the question.

Regards

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 15:22 »
Forgot to ask -- could you add your location into your profile please, as growing conditions vary so much?

Thank you  :D

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 12:09 »
North- South as said but I'd put the door on the North face with the water-butts by the door. I made the mistake of putting the water-butts behind the green house which means a round trip to get some water. As for shade, when its required you can always drape a net over the roof but better still grow sweet pea's on the sunny side.

breizhcymru

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 09:46 »
Hello again,

From the replies, I am still unsure about the orientation. If I go for a North/South alignment, I am getting the impression that, if the greenhouse is a rectangle, I am putting the shorter side of the rectangle in a North/South position, with the longest side facing East/West. Is this correct ?

Thanks and regards

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 11:34 »
Er yes, if the 2 longest sides face E and W respectively that's a N-S orientation, which will give you maximum illumination, but also the greatest heat build-up in a completely open location.

Whichever you decide, I think it's a good idea to not have the door facing the prevailing winds (usually west-ish) because with the door open you will increase the risk of possible damage from gales which are usually from that direction.

(I also located the opening light on the east side as well, in the hope of reducing the possibility of unwanted spores blowing in on the prevailing wind, but that's possibly more like wishful thinking on my part!)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 13:39 »
Because of where my greenhouses had to be sited in the garden, the doors do face the prevailing wind.
I'm a bit leery sometimes of opening the doors when it's blowing strongly, so on an open site do make sure you follow the advice to turn them away from the wind ;)

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 05:06 »
Hi Breizhcymru,

What size is your greenhouse?

If it's, say, a 6' x 6' or 6' x 8' then it's practically a box anyway, and so it won't really matter whether you site it N-S or E-W, so I wouldn't fret too much about it. You'll get to know the conditions inside it as you grow, so you can always shade the hotspots with newspaper or whitewash on the windows or, as has been mentioned, the lovely idea of just growing sweet peas outside.

What I would take into account, as mumofstig says, is the prevailing winds - the position of the door is one thing you can't change. But if where you are is sheltered as you say, then this shouldn't be too much of a problem, either.

The one thing I would add is not to make any fittings inside the greenhouse permanent until you've used it for a bit and know exactly what you want to use it for - lots of permanent staging for growing and growing on seeds, space for grow bags, planting in the soil, stashing your pots and compost, or what? You'll soon work out what makes you happy. Greenhouses are lovely places!  Enjoy.

P.
I don't really look like my avatar.

clip
Allotment Greenhouse - Best base without cement use?

Started by walterfilbert on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post January 24, 2020, 16:52
by rowlandwells
xx
Greenhouse up

Started by AdsaM on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post November 19, 2008, 16:41
by poultrygeist
question
Used greenhouse

Started by Windsong on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 17:08
by Trillium
xx
Greenhouse

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Design and Construction

14 Replies
Last post April 22, 2011, 17:59
by Jamie Butterworth

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 35 queries.