buying a greenhouse

• 10 Replies

harry

buying a greenhouse
« on: June 20, 2011, 09:41 »
I'm looking to buy a 6 x4 greenhouse can anyone recommend one. I've looked at one called the Norfolk and wondered if anyone has bought one :wub:
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

harry

Re: buying a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 14:56 »
Decided to go ahead and ordered the Norfolk Ultimate Greenhouse but have since seen some bad reviews about it, anyone had any experience of them. :ohmy:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 15:01 by harry »

Flatcat

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 18:51 »
We have a local Norfolk showroom near us, and I must say I wasn't too convinced about the quality - but don't let that put you off :unsure:

Damon

Worms wife

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 20:49 »
We bought a 6ft x 4ft greenhouse on e bay for £77! It is in good condition and only needed the glass cleaning.Try e bay-some of their stuff is worth it!
Good luck
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 20:56 by Worms wife »

Hobnails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 11:52 »
I bought the 12 foot Norfolk Greenhouse last year. It is, in fact two 6 foot structures that bolt together in the middle.
It's now up and running and I am plesed with it-
BUT - what a devil of a job to get it erected. if you were good at meccano as a kid then you'll feel familiar with the construction.
It has to be absolutely sqare and perpendicular to go together- no tolerance at at all.
Little by little a bird makes its nest!

harry

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 15:34 »
I'm usually quite good at flat pack stuff and mine is only the 6 x 4 so it should be ok. I'd heard the instructions weren't so good and the clip in windows had a habit of dropping out. :blush: :wacko:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 15:36 by harry »

whiskywill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 16:01 »
Not quite a walk in greenhouse but very good value at only £12.
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0169741
Any day above ground is a good day.

harry

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 09:17 »
I bought the 12 foot Norfolk Greenhouse last year. It is, in fact two 6 foot structures that bolt together in the middle.
It's now up and running and I am plesed with it-
BUT - what a devil of a job to get it erected. if you were good at meccano as a kid then you'll feel familiar with the construction.
It has to be absolutely sqare and perpendicular to go together- no tolerance at at all.

Well my norfolk greenhouse arrived, 2 boxes one full of metal strips, I see what you mean about meccano set. The instruction sheets are not very clear especially the one about fitting the windows.
Watch this space I'll let you know how I get on.  :nowink: :wacko:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 09:29 »
Photos of your efforts and photos of your growing despair please. :lol:

Very interested in your thoughts on it as I need a new greenhouse and don't want to splash out too much.
Cheese makes everything better.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 09:44 »
The instruction sheets are not very clear especially the one about fitting the windows.

I know what you mean about Norfolk instructions...been there - done that - and survived  ::)
I have a piece of wood under the window with screws at various heights at which to 'stop' the window - otherwise it can slide right out.
I also had to silicone some of the polycarb panes in place as they can pop out in strong winds.

Jabberwock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 11:50 »
I had several years of good use from my 8 x 6 Norfolk Greenhouse, however last year we had to temporarily move it in order to erect scaffolding in the garden as the house was undergoing renovation.  The Contractors moved it back to it's original site after work was completed but I never felt that it was quite as stable as it had been, and sadly It was pretty much trashed in the gales we had in May.
However being a grippy Scot :D I decided to have a go at rebuilding, many of the panels including the doors and window were blown out and some of the panels were beyond repair so I cut my losses and rebuilt it as a 4 x 6 instead.
The added bonus is that I now have extra panels and metal supports in case anything goes wrong again!
It seems to be holding up well enough and I am a lot happier now as I used extra metal supports on the outside and inside running accross the middle of the panels when I put it back together.
All in all I would say these greenhouses are great for the money, but lots of patience required for building it!! ;)

question
2nd Hand Greenhouse Buying Advice

Started by Daamoot on Equipment Shed

24 Replies
Last post March 20, 2013, 11:24
by JayG
xx
Worth buying a cheap 2nd hand greenhouse or polytunnel??

Started by infowarrior on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2007, 22:24
by muntjac
xx
Buying a new rotovator

Started by Greg40 on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post January 26, 2010, 20:52
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Buying a rotavator

Started by James on Equipment Shed

22 Replies
Last post August 16, 2006, 10:02
by John

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 35 queries.