When should the shallots be ready?

• 10 Replies

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
When should the shallots be ready?
« on: June 12, 2011, 20:34 »
Its my first time growing shallots this year.

I have them both inside and outside, sets sown in March. The ones in the tunnel are good size small onions. The outside ones look like they could bulk up a bit.

Is there an optimum time to harvest. Should i be waiting for foliage to die back?

When do you harvest yours?
Liv.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: When should the shallots be ready?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 20:35 »
When the foliage dies back, as you say.

Anytime July onwards, weather dependant.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 22:41 »
Cheers!

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 00:42 »
They will push each other apart until they are horizontal. Hold a stem and wriggle it. If the bulbs is loose and seperate easily they are ready to lift. The stems will be soft but the leaves quite often remain green. Put a fork under them and just ease them up. Leave them on the soil for a few days to dry and then shake any soil off and prop them on something so that the air can circulate. As with onions, when you think they are dry then dry them some more.

Usually they are ready in early July. In this strange season I have just lifted mine, same with my garlic. Sitting out in the rain. I do not expect they will come to any harm.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 05:26 »
Mine were planted in February and are nowhere near ready.

I'll stick to my less complicated visual way - when the leaves go yellow, they aint gonna grow no more!

Gandan57

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 06:07 »
They will push each other apart until they are horizontal. Hold a stem and wriggle it. If the bulbs is loose and seperate easily they are ready to lift. The stems will be soft but the leaves quite often remain green. Put a fork under them and just ease them up. Leave them on the soil for a few days to dry and then shake any soil off and prop them on something so that the air can circulate. As with onions, when you think they are dry then dry them some more.

Usually they are ready in early July. In this strange season I have just lifted mine, same with my garlic. Sitting out in the rain. I do not expect they will come to any harm.

Surely the rain was what they were waiting for, to put on one last spurt of growth?
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 06:12 »
I'm hoping mine will, as they hadn't given up yet.

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 08:02 »
Mine are Jermour and were planted  in three batches, late October, early January and early February as a bit of a trial. All beautiful big shallots, all ready at the same time, no visual difference between them. The January batch were supposed to be planted on the longest day but were delayed until January because everything was frozen.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:22 by Salmo »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 10:16 »
Mine are Golden Globe and Mikor and were planted 24/2; they looked a bit dodgy about a month ago despite some watering, but although they look a lot happier now they've still got quite a lot of filling out to do (hopefully!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 10:26 »
My overwintered Jermors look ready for digging up. Can't wait  :)

AnneB

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 21:19 »
I planted Jermor too, but not until March.  They don't look quite ready yet, another few weeks I'd say, although the leaves are all over the place at different angles, suspect due to the wind.   They look perkier today though after yesterday's deluge.

xx
When are shallots ready?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 19:18
by Yana
xx
Shallots and garlic ready to harvest?

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 29, 2018, 21:05
by Wiltshire Worms
xx
shallots

Started by juliec on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 11:38
by JayG
xx
How Are your shallots

Started by brianbishop on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 08, 2013, 17:41
by JayG

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 29 queries.