New raised beds

• 6 Replies

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
New raised beds
« on: April 10, 2011, 08:48 »
Hi all!

Well, although I have my lottie I have just built a minature one at the bottom of my garden, but i have been warned it has to look nice!

I have built the layers up over a few months with newspaper from the rabbit's litter tray, veg peelings, grass cuttings and a layer from the chicken run. One has been topped with 4 inch of bought compost, the other bed I am going to put some very well rotted manure (no smell and looks like compost now). Although I have my lovely rotation system down the lottie, would salad stuff grow ok in the beds? What else would be good, never tried this 'lasagne' gardening before!

Cheers

Steve

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: New raised beds
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 09:04 »
Avoid carrots and parsnips; salad will look good although it might just be a little nutrient-rich (but give it a go).

If you like the taste of spinach, try swiss chard 'bright lights' which has stems of different colours.  Beetroot and radish will also look good.

I'd consider a couple of tomato plants for height and also convenience.

Do you already have herbs in the garden?

Depending on the size and aspect of the beds, a wigwam of beans will also be good.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 09:41 »
Put a few sweetpeas up the bean frame as well, that always look good, and a herb or flower plant dotted around the edge  :)

digalotty

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 16:42 »
if you treat it like sfg  (square foot gardening)  then you can grow almost anything try a google search you may find it interesting ,  just remember that you are restricted with  depth at 4inch
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

katiekate

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 19:14 »

Lots and lots of edible flowers!! Imagine a brightly coloured tasty salad! Google which ones you can eat, and which you defiantly shouldn't.

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 11:53 »
if you treat it like sfg  (square foot gardening)  then you can grow almost anything try a google search you may find it interesting ,  just remember that you are restricted with  depth at 4inch

Might give this a go myself as I have 2 spare raised beds on my plot now.  thanks.
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 17:09 »
Thanks for that ladies and gents!

I have read up about square foot gardening last year and it could work quite well I think, was just obviously wondering on what to grow as I have recently added manure etc. Have just been across to the local green as the grass has been cut and popped a load on the beds also.

I have put an old archway over the 2 beds to grow runners and some telephone peas which were given to me. I have grown bright lights down the lottie and loved the stuff, although got some spinach with GW mag so may do that in one of the beds. Really want stuff to look nice as i do all of my spuds, fruit, toms etc down the lottie.

I will let you know how it goes!

Steve

xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
raised beds

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 04, 2007, 21:48
by Trillium
xx
Raised Beds

Started by ij rowley on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 17, 2010, 17:21
by fletcherbaker
clip
Raised Beds

Started by Welsh Merf on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 04, 2014, 23:04
by LotuSeed

Page created in 0.381 seconds with 36 queries.