Potato harvest

• 12 Replies

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
Potato harvest
« on: February 04, 2011, 21:54 »
How much should i expect from 1 seed potatoe of desiree, i know they are heavy cropping which is why i chose them but just wondered if i was to put one per poly pot how much i would get from each, excluding damage from slugs which i need to find a way of avoiding ::)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 09:39 by Ice »
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Potatoe harvest
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 22:00 »
I have no experience of growing, other than in the ground, but growing in pots I'd thought would be a way of avoiding slugs in itself. It's a right battle in  open ground!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 22:05 »
I have no idea, I've not grown them before. You shouldn't need to worry about slugs really. I can only grow spuds in bags and never have a problem with slugs and snails. How big are the polypots? I always put 3 or 4 seeds in each bag but they may be bigger than the pots?

Jamie Butterworth

• Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 08:10 »
I have no experience of growing, other than in the ground, but growing in pots I'd thought would be a way of avoiding slugs in itself. It's a right battle in  open ground!

I know, i grew mine in the open ground last year and my crop was decimated by slugs :( Which is why ive opted for polypots instead, but i grew a crop of spuds in a dustbin last year also and didnt get a single potatoe so i dont know where i went wrong :unsure:

I have no idea, I've not grown them before. You shouldn't need to worry about slugs really. I can only grow spuds in bags and never have a problem with slugs and snails. How big are the polypots? I always put 3 or 4 seeds in each bag but they may be bigger than the pots?

They are 17.5 litre poly pots which on the JBA potato website it recommends one to each poly pot :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 09:31 »
You still have to "plant out" the poly pot I think Jamie - or am I missing something?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 09:34 »
Quote from: JBA
The added bonus of the polypot is that they are designed to be placed into soil and can be grown like conventional potatoes would in your garden but there is very little digging.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 09:38 »
The added bonus of the polypot is that they are designed to be placed into soil and can be grown like conventional potatoes would in your garden but there is very little digging.

I think I might be missing the point now; how are you saving yourself a lot of digging if each polypot has to be buried in its own hole?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
Re: Potato harvest
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 09:40 »
I didn't like to comment.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 09:48 »

I think I might be missing the point now; how are you saving yourself a lot of digging if each polypot has to be buried in its own hole?
I thought that the whole point of this exercise, was nice clean potatoes for exhibition, and you could harvest the spuds by tipping the bags over ;)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 10:06 »
And I think you can start the Polypots off under cover, thus avoiding some frost risk before you have to plant out.

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 10:54 »
What I do is work the soil over so that it is loose and then take a shovel width of soil out with a depth of about 2inches in rows 15feet long.

I then add some fertilizer to the bottom of the shallow trench and place the bags into the shallow trench. I use the excess soil to fill any gaps around where the polypots touch each other and that helps keep the pests out.

I have also tried just placing them ontop of grass and it is a good way of clearing large areas whilst getting a crop at the same time.

On average you will get about 3lbs of spuds back from the one potato in the 17ltr pot but it can vary abit per variety.

Also if you hit a long dry spell they will need a bit of water or you will still get a bit of scab on them.

Hope that helps.
Visit my website and view my potato blog and videos.

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 15:54 »
Here is how the world potato champion grows them and then the results are shown below.
polypots.jpg
2Owb9.jpg

Jamie Butterworth

• Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 16:30 »
Thanks Ian :)

question
Potato - When to harvest

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 17:55
by Aidy
xx
Potato Harvest

Started by Tom Hill on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 31, 2013, 22:16
by solway cropper
xx
Potato Harvest

Started by AndyArch on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 03, 2015, 14:28
by RJR_38
xx
Potato Harvest!

Started by Mags on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 28, 2006, 20:21
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.432 seconds with 36 queries.