Help me please to find a climbing rose

• 7 Replies

Zippy

Help me please to find a climbing rose
« on: November 02, 2010, 23:42 »
I have just rooted out a mature Summer Jasmine as its place was way too small and it has gone to scramble all over a friend's gothic arch where it will reach its full glory - if it will survive the transplant.

Now - this leaves me with about six feet of wall wide by about seven high, forming the corner of the garden.  A garden seat of stone and wood sits across this corner and I would like to fill this corner with an old fashioned climbing rose.

My criteria would be:

Gold/burnt orange flowers, traditional English flower shapes; not mop-heads.
Height of seven feet, trained up post and trellis
Width of seven feet
Heavy scented

also a question - if I plant one six foot high climber in the corner of this stretch and one say five feet away along the wall, could I get away with training these climbers past each other so I get two kinds of flower colours intertwined or are both plants going to end up starved through being too close to each other?

Nothing else will be grown here; maybe a few spring bulbs as our dog sleeps in the corner behind the seat and flattens anything there!

compostqueen

Re: Help me please to find a climbing rose
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 10:53 »
I would find the two specific varieties that you like and then check their habit in detail. You can search for roses by colour and other criteria on the Peter Beals and Harkness rose websites. PB is good for old fashioned roses but the Harkness do modern roses with old fashioned looks. Modern roses have lots of plus points as regards disease resistance and repeat flowering so shouldn't be discounted

Some shrub roses can also be used as small climbers and the sites will recommend which ones are suitable, and will come up on your colour search. The fragrances will also be numbered say from 1 to 5 to help you make your choice

I had a modern climber called Penny Lane which had an old fashioned look but was a modern rose with a good degree of disease resistance.  A shrub which is used as a climber and is very popular is the shortish growing Gertrude Jekyll and it's a deep pink and holds its colour well.  I really liked it  :)  I love David Austin roses too  :)

madcat

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 11:20 »
You also need to check the orientation of the wall before you start your search - some roses love sun so south facing is great, some bleach out and there are a few that will do okay on east/north facing walls.  You probably will want to think about more modern roses, just so you get flowers throughout the summer round your bench and not one glorious flush. 
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Debz

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 11:30 »
Tequila Sunrise  is a beautifully perfumed climbing rose in gold and orange.  Don't know anything about the correct position it should be in though.

Zippy

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 00:15 »
I have opted for a Penny Lane (white) climber planted in the corner of two walls and training out along both walls as a back drop and weaving in and out of a Della Balfour (Apricot) near the garden seat and a gardeners glory (yellow) further down on the other wall behind a rose of Sharon which is already in the border.

All nicely fragranced, easy to grow and highly resistant to disease; all recommended for Cornish climate.

Busy preparing the ground for their arrival.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 09:09 »
Penny Lane is actually cream!  It starts off as a pale apricot in fact and unfurls cream.   It is usually covered in flowers so you won't be disappointed

Don't forget that roses like manure at their base.  You could also put a clematis into the mix  :)

Zippy

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 00:03 »
thanks compostqueen - I actually prefer cream to white as it will be softer.

You say clematis - do you think i could throw a honeysuckle into the mix so long as I train the growth to the trellis and not my rose stems?  I love the smell of honeysuckle and the butterflies and bees activity.

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 00:33 »
I think a honeysuckle would be a good idea. It's easy to tie in onto trellis. You can keep it horizontally and well behaved  :)

On my trellis I had Penny Lane, Gertrude Jekyll, clem Pixie, Honeysuckle, a summer jasmine, clem Etoile something or other and a David Austin or two

xx
climbing rose

Started by hoporus on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 10:34
by hoporus
xx
Climbing Rose

Started by black diamond on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post February 05, 2008, 11:59
by Selkie
clip
What's eating my climbing rose?

Started by Pony Girl on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post November 16, 2013, 11:37
by Goosegirl
xx
Old climbing rose needs TLC ideas please

Started by kateblair on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 10:37
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 28 queries.