When to use a tin of tomatoes -v- passata?

• 3 Replies

Elcie

When to use a tin of tomatoes -v- passata?
« on: October 03, 2010, 15:51 »
I am still relatively new to this cooking from scratch business (it wasn't that long ago that I thought heating a ready meal constituted cooking!) and was wondering today what would be the main difference when using tinned tomatoes or passata?  Will it taste different or will there be a different consistency?

For example, I have now got into the habit of making a vegetable curry on a Sunday and eating it during the week.  I use a tin of tomatoes, but today saw some passata in the supermarket.  Would it make a massive difference if I used that instead?

Thanks  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: When to use a tin of tomatoes -v- passata?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 16:03 »
The only real difference is in texture........ a tin of toms will have whole, or chopped toms inside............the passata will be the same because it is just toms but they have been passed through a sieve to remove the skins and seeds :)

So in a curry it would taste the same, but be runnier, so you may prefer the lumps......if you know what I mean :D

CZ Silhouette

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 08:38 »
This is a recipe based on one from the River Cottage book of Preserves.
Its well worth the effort. You can obviously change the seasoning to suit your taste.

Cut tomatoes in half and place them cut side up in oven dish or baking tray.
Cut up (big chunks) some shallots or onions & mix in with toms. Add 3-4 garlic cloves thinly sliced. Then drizzle over about 50ml of oil. I use olive but sunflower or rapeseed is also good. Then sprinkle over rosemary, basil & oregano. I used dried because I didn’t have fresh. Then sprinkle on salt & black pepper.
Roast in a pre heated oven (180c/gas mark4) for about an hour or until toms are very soft. Push toms & all juices through a sieve into a saucepan or maslin. Then bring to boil & place into sterilised jars. Seal the jar straight away.
Then place jars into a large saucepan & cover with warm water. Don’t forget trivet or tea towel on bottom of pan to stop jars breaking. Bring up to simmering point (88c) over 25 minutes then simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove the jars and allow to cool. They will have a shelf life of about a year.

1kg of tomatoes fills a 1lb jam jar.
MY BACKS ACHING!!!!!!! AGAIN!!!!

TheSpartacat

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 14:43 »
Yup, texture is the main thing that changes, but passata is also a bit stronger, and makes the dish more "tomatoey" and richer as its all blended tomato flesh and less of the pulp, and no seeds. When using passata, I usually use less of it, or it can get a bit more acidic than with just a tin of toms, and more likely to give me the dreaded heartburn!! Or balance it out with sugar.
I always have to add sugar when using passata, but rarely when just using tinned. (though tinned toms probably already have sugar added)

question
Passata

Started by Plot2B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 23, 2010, 19:04
by Aunt Sally
xx
Passata

Started by Sparkyrog on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2013, 15:26
by Trillium
xx
Passata and oil

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post October 21, 2011, 17:21
by PeterP
xx
Passata recipe anyone?

Started by Yana on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post August 28, 2013, 19:04
by Yana

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 35 queries.