What can I plant now?

• 3 Replies

Tabbycats

What can I plant now?
« on: September 04, 2010, 16:06 »
Hi there

I am new on here and have just started growing things this year, I have had some fab results, courgettes yippee! But sadly my onions and beetroot not brill.

Is there anything I can plant now so I'll have something to eat over winter? I bought some cabbage plants yesterday and have some puple sprouting brocoli that I grew from seed but I don't have anything else to put in and dont want my 3 beds lying empty  :(. Can I buy sprout plants anywhere or am i way too late?

Thanks lots

Tabby   :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: What can I plant now?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 16:11 »
Hi Tabby & welcome.

I'm afraid as regards the great outdoors, you're too late to plant anything to eat over-winter.

You need to be thinking now about getting stuff in to eat early next year. Top of a lot of people's list are spring cabbage & caulis (plants), winter onions & garlic.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 00:00 »
I've sown some mixed salad leaves and a tray of mixed oriental leaves in my unheated greenhouse to provide me with salad and stir fry leaves over the winter. It worked very well last year.  I've sown some salad onions in a seed tray in the greenhouse too but not done so before but it's worth a go as they were cheap as chips

Zippy

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 09:22 »
Hi Tabby and welcome.

How about salad leaves, winter growing spring onions, endives, lambs's lettuce, winter purslane, rocket.

Then there's overwintering onion sets for an early harvest next spring and garlic of course.

And you'll want to be sowing some green manure on some beds to keep nutrients in and to bring fertility up for next year - how about winter tares for a good nitrogen boost.

Loads to do.

xx
Supermarket living lettuce-plant or not 2 plant?

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 20:29
by violet61
xx
Butternut - to plant out or not to plant out?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 17:09
by little sweetpeas
xx
When shall I plant?

Started by Mash Mad on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 13:04
by Salmo
xx
What to plant now?

Started by ness on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 19, 2007, 17:14
by freyaluck

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 32 queries.