Very dry wine...

• 2 Replies

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Very dry wine...
« on: June 25, 2007, 14:32 »
We started to make three gallons of tangerine wine about two years ago, and sort of lost the djs...  :oops: Anyway, they turned up in the mass tidy-up for the nippers birthday party, hooray!

One had quite a lot of sediment in, the second not quite so much, and hardly any in the third.  Anyway, racked them into clean demis today, and topped up with water (not sure why, seemed like a good idea at the time - think it was to reduce the surface area) and added a fermentation stopper.

It tastes not far off drinkable, but a bit too dry for our taste.  We added some honey to a sample, and it was transformed!  :tongue2:  So what's the best way to sweeten the bulk?  Just bung a load of honey in and leave it for a few more months?  Presumably it shouldn't ferment any further, with the stopper added?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Very dry wine...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 14:44 »
There is a sweetener you can buy especially to sweeten wine, but WG told me to add lactose which won't make the wine ferment again like using sugar would.

David.

Re: Very dry wine...
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 16:23 »
Quote from: "ytyynycefn"
and added a fermentation stopper.

Was your fermentation stopper Potassium Sorbate and did you add Campden tablets first?

If you didn't Campden first, all your wine is may end up smelling of geraniums.

Youngs produce 50ml bottles of non-fermetable sweetener that sell for abot £1.50, and my local Wilkos have just been selling all theirs off half price (+ potassium sorbate and beer yeast with loads of shelf life left).

I sweeten any wine that requires it on opening the bottle to avoid any potential off tastes from artificial sweeteners left in the wine for long periods.

xx
How can i make my wine sweeter - and I need half size bottles for wine.

Started by composthappens on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 23:39
by Jackypam
xx
Pea Pod Wine

Started by rock_chick on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 19:37
by rock_chick
xx
Wine from old jam.....

Started by jacnal on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post July 24, 2007, 00:10
by wisp
xx
More wine help please

Started by grinling on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 19:52
by grinling

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 36 queries.