what's up with my courgettes?

• 12 Replies

trimmy g

what's up with my courgettes?
« on: June 13, 2010, 14:57 »
Panic, our courgettes have been doing fine, had a few small courgettes off them in the last week or two, but have noticed over the last 2 or 3 days that some of the leaves are looking sickly, looking yellow and mottled, especially the new ones which are are sort of half yellow half green.   Noticed a couple of baby courgettes looking rotten at the end.  Have removed these courgettes, what else shall I do?

Also noticed that some of the runner bean leaves which are nearby are a bit yellowish too. 

Have given them all a good feed and water, I think the beans may have got a bit dry.  Tell me they're not gonners!!  ???

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: what's up with my courgettes?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 15:00 »
just continue with the watering when it is dry, and feed the courgettes and they will be fine. A bit of nice settled weather would help as well  ::)

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 21:43 »
Try not to get water on the leaves when you water them. Especially in the sun.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 08:35 »
It sounds like your courgettes have got blossom end rot.  That and the colour of the leaves mean mean a lack of calcium.  You could try feeding them with a liquid seaweed fertiliser, give them plenty of water and mulch with compost to retain moisture.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 09:11 »
ooh I though blossom end rot/lack of calcium was a tomato problem :unsure:

I thought that the rotting ends of the baby courgettes was either caused by the flower petals getting wet and starting rot  on the fruit, or lack of pollination in the first place.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 09:33 »
Apparently if affects curcurbits and peppers too.  If you get the Mail on Saturday check out Monty Don's advice in the magazine to someone  with the same problem.  Also follow this link:
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/edible_gardening_plus/73178

where they say - Blossom end rot is one of the most common problems when growing tomatoes. Brownish-black leathery patches appear on the bottom of your tomatoes. It is also common on peppers, squash, eggplant, and melons.

It is caused by irregular watering which stops the plant taking up calcium from the soil so it doesn't necessarily mean the soil is deficient, but it wouldn't hurt to add something like liquid seaweed.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 09:38 »
Blossom end rot is evident as "browish leathery patches" not rotting fruit.

This could just be a pollination issue.

However the mottled yellow leave is worrying as this could be a sign of mosaic virus.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 10:05 »
I'd go for lack of pollination also; unpollinated fruits start to grow normally but then rot off from the flower end (sometimes pollinated fruit do as well if the weather is particularly wet; best to remove the shrivelled flower once it is easy to knock off.)

Some mottling of the leaves is quite normal in many courgettes, but perhaps not the type you describe. Having fed them, and hopefully with a bit of decent weather in the next few days they may pick up, otherwise I go with DD (mosaic virus) which unfortunately would mean digging up and destroying the plants.

Not quite time to panic yet!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 10:07 »
I did say could when it came to mosaic virus!

alwayshopeful

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 12:55 »
my courgettes too have yellow leaves.  Not got any courgettes off them yet, however this is a new yellow variety am trying this year.  My mum is trying the same variety and her leaves are also yellow!  The normal green courgettes have planted are okay with lovely green leaves.  Does this mean the yellow leaves has something to do with the variety?
I have a pair of secateurs and I'm not afraid to use them!!

paintedlady

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 13:21 »
I reckon it is too much rain, too cold and not enough sunlight (all this has a 2007 feel about it) - this past week we've had some really monsoon-like heavy downpours that have even caused some local flooding where I live, average temperatures plunged a good 10oC lower after that warm spell and it's been a cold, wet, grey miserable week.  Yellow leaves could also mean roots had got waterlogged after the rains?  As for courgettes or lack of - poor pollination brought on by the wet weather sounds very plausible to me.  No wonder the plants have objected!  ;)  My suggestion would be a feed to boost the nutrients washed out of the soil and a prayer for the sun to come back.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

antwilk

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 17:56 »
i have three varieies on the go including yellow ones and all av the same symptoms as described they are still friuting tho so i av just continued as normal with feeding and watering they seem to be doing ok.

Togalosh

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 20:10 »
I was asking the same question this week as all our varieties of cucurbits are looking ill... :blink:..and was thinking it was more to do with how I planted them or poor soil (new land you see).

...but it looks like Verticillium Wilt. It says that young plants are susceptible to it in cold & wet conditions..which it has been on n off round here.

I have been jiggin about my plot with a parakeet feather behind my ear like shaman at a sun dancing competition in the hope of getting the sunshine to return..

:tongue2:

xx
F1 courgettes

Started by kgaskell on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 09, 2016, 08:03
by Swing Swang
xx
Courgettes

Started by mclarkuk1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 03, 2011, 11:22
by digalotty
xx
COURGETTES

Started by wildeone on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post July 16, 2007, 12:10
by mum of 3
xx
Little courgettes going bad

Started by Sal1610 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 23:47
by KT

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 37 queries.