Liming

• 4 Replies

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
Liming
« on: July 10, 2006, 13:45 »
Hi Folks,
Over the weekend I prepared an area for my cauliflowers and Brussel Sprouts by putting up a cage.  One of the older gents on the plot told me to lime the soil before planting - so I purchased some garden lime yesterday.  

However the box does not contain instructions for its use.  Can anyone offer any help with quantities and when best to do it - i.e before planting or after.  I don't want to have to dig the soil again as it has been compacting since April ready for the crop.  

It is the first time I have grown brassica's so am keen to get it right.

All help is greatfully received.
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

Beanzie

• Experienced Member
Liming
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 23:32 »
If you are sure that you need lime its generally best to apply in the winter to the Brassica patch. However, given that you have neen advised by the "locals" it is reasonable to assume that they know the conditions and that there is a strong likelihood of club root (a nasty  disease that rots cabbage family roots).

In this case I would recommend the following. Grow your "Brassicas" in pots of soliless compost (say 7cm size). When time to plant dig a decent hole and apply a handful of lime. Fill the whole with water and then use your trowel to take out a hole (at the bottom of the hole) , plant your brassica and firm. This should leave you brassica planted in a crater making it easier to water. During the course of the season normal cultivation will mean that the brassica is gradually earthed up encouraging new roots. With a big of luck you'll get a decent crop and stay ahead of club root.

It works for me.
Ah well ! There is always next year !

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Liming
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 09:52 »
I wrote a bit of an article about lime which might be of interest to you:
Garden Lime
Hope you have better luck with your brassicas than I have had this year. I tried to do everything 'by the book' and it's been a bit of a disaster!
I console myself by looking at the sweetcorn, which is doing really well.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

BillinPA

I wrote a bit of an article about lime which might be of int
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 18:26 »
John,
Thanks for your article on lime, it's a keeper.  I have been wondering what amount of lime is needed to amend clay soil, the chart has given it.  My backyard garden is in it's third expansion (3rd year at this house).  I've done raised (deep) veg beds as the lawn is surviving on hard-pan clay and shale rock - rotovating it would have become a career.  This year I got a load of "Top Soil" from a landscape supplier for the new bed expansion that turn out to be just dry sifted clay.  I've added all my compost to this area, but it hasn't helped much.

Is there anything else (other than tons of compost) that can help?  I have tomatoes, peppers and egg plants on this area now.  The tomatoes seem to be doing alright, but the rest seem to be a bit sluggish!!
Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life.

Bill in PA

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Liming
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 21:36 »
Hi BillinPA - with clay soils it's a battle but they are amongst the best if you can get them right. Loads of composts, green manures  and such like will really help but you could see about getting a lot of gritty sand. Rotovate it in and it will help.
If you have any stables or dairy herds near maybe they could deliver you a load of their waste product? If fresh, throw a tarpaulin or plastic sheet over for a year then spread at the highly scientific rate of a couple of barrow loads per square yard in the late fall, early winter. Mix it in a bit into the top 6" of the soil and you'll find it is much easier next year.
Hope that helps

xx
liming

Started by kirstin-11 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 16:55
by Trillium
xx
liming

Started by jason g on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 11:28
by tode
xx
The advantages of Liming ?

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 15:19
by Aunt Sally
xx
Liming Soil

Started by Heifer73 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 09, 2008, 19:36
by Trillium

Page created in 0.411 seconds with 35 queries.