poorly merry tiller (needs transplant surgery)

• 4 Replies

buckrabbit

poorly merry tiller (needs transplant surgery)
« on: March 08, 2010, 19:18 »
hi, i have an old merry tiller, 3HP briggs & stratton, the engine is past its best, the carb has a mind of its own, i set it up it runs all day the following day it decides its not playing,  now one of the carb bolts has decided to come out with the threads from the block, so to get to the point,rather than struggle on with the old carb & helicoiling the block i think its time for a new engine, can anyone recommend a replacement that will be pretty straight forward to fit and reliable? i have heard honda engines work fine, so i bought a honda powered generator that was running fine with no output 5.5HP so far so good then i removed the alternator and there was a tappered shaft, (not so good) so rather than weld on the pulley i will look for a new alternator and have a good generator, but this still leaves me without an engine for old smokey,any advice please on the right one for the job Regards Paul.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 19:33 by buckrabbit »

smud6ie

Re: poorly merry tiller (needs transplant surgery)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 19:43 »
Some engines are metric shaft,Look for a relacement that is 3/4" "Q" shaft if you want to use your original pully!
smud6ie

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 22:02 »
New Merry Tillers, which are almost identical to the old 3hp Majors, use the 5.5hp Honda engine but I personally find that all bigger engines than the 3hp unit make the machine harder to manoeuvre at the row ends. If you have a large plot with long rows the extra grunt of  a bigger engine may be worth it, but for smaller beds the 3hp B & S engine is best.

Regards, Richard
R Tallentire

BIG ZOOK

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 19:32 »
My merry tiller  :Dnow has a Robin engine fitted. 6 yrs trouble free running for £80.

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 18:11 »
I put a 6.5 HP brand new Honda G220 engine (£90 collected)  on my Merry Tiller, holy moly.  You could take up a tarmac drive with it now, even on low revs. The power is awesome, its totally unstoppable, will easy turn three pairs of tines , if not for the fact a Merry Tiller with 3 pairs of tines on needs two people to hold it back.

xx
merry tiller and mantis tiller - compare/contrast?

Started by mushroom on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 05:17
by Gwiz
xx
im looking for a merry tiller

Started by new_2_veg on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post September 07, 2007, 23:33
by muntjac
question
merry tiller

Started by nedhanrahan on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post August 09, 2016, 23:04
by jezza
xx
My new Merry Tiller (OLD) help

Started by andyw on Equipment Shed

28 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 13:07
by Gerdub

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 33 queries.