Alternative to large pop bottles?

• 9 Replies

Kolonie Queen

Alternative to large pop bottles?
« on: August 29, 2009, 21:29 »
Hi! I live on the German-Danish border and am just celebrating our first year as allotmenteers. We now know what is in there and what to expect in future years. However, it is a clay soil which is a very new medium for us.

A dry year meant not so many slugs, etc. but I think soil warming will be an issue in the future. If I were back in the UK I would be saving those super large clear plastic bottles for using as individual cloches. Or rather asking all friends and family plus freecyclers for same.

Which is my problem... They are not sold here! Bottles are smaller (when plastic) and we (everyone we know) all buy glass bottles by the crate which are on deposit and therefore a Good Thing. However, I am at a loss to think of a viable and thrifty alternative! Any suggestions? I would be much obliged for any input any/everyone may have!

Cheers

Trillium

Re: Alternative to large pop bottles?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 03:25 »
I've seen people use upturned plastic pails wedged into the soil or held down with rocks. Opaque vinegar jugs rinsed well would also work as cloches (bottoms cut out). I've rescued large rectangular salad containers for cloches.

raeburg

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 19:10 »
Do you know anyone who might have access to the water cooler type of bottles?

Kolonie Queen

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 19:24 »
Thanks guys/gals. Perhaps I should explain a little more... My problem is manifold... We are in a new town with no friends or family (except step-daughter with tribe and unable /unwilling to be a help let alone get involved with "scrounging" as she calls it!) and we do not know neighbours or have work mates. The worst part is no FreeCycle for miles and miles.

I am not complaining, just putting you in the picture! LOL! But we are out on our own with no access to work canteens or similar (usual source of large plastic containers). Vinegar is like anything else fluid as far as I can see... It comes in glass bottles! I am really only interested in clear plastic (nothing opaque or coloured) because of light levels. We do not manage to get to the allotment every day, especially when it has rained. Which it does here MORE than it does in Wales!!?

So any more suggestions will be really, really useful! Thanks All!

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 19:37 »
I have seen mini homemade cloches work very well. Four small sturdy sticks/canes one in each corner, with polythene/ clingfilm wrapped around the outside, one per plant. 

Poolfield2

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 23:19 »
Lengths of waterpipe made into a frame for a mini polytunnel, covered in plastic?

Kolonie Queen

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 23:38 »
Water pipes, as in copper? Do you think they would be OK? I thought it is to be avoided because it is not a favourite for greens things like trees.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 01:25 »
Usually the bendable vinyl types of waterpipe are used so that you get the 'hoop'. Each end of the pipe is stuck into a length of cane which is secured in the ground.

There used to be a link to GW and Geoff Hamilton's cloche frame but it seems to be gone now.

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 16:53 »
geoff hamiltons cloche frame here http://organicgarden.org.uk/?page_id=2292
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

Kolonie Queen

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 20:09 »
Ah! Yes! The very thing! Simple, effective and not going to break the bank as long as I can source some sturdy polythene. Thanks, guys 'n' gals!

And to add to my joys... I was at the pharmacy today and spied a water cooler. Although not of the size I had hoped for at only 3 or so litres, joy! Oh joy! They have promised to keep them there water bottles for me! I just have to call in regularly. How about that? I shall now be scouring others for the same thing. May yet be able to keep my salads going into the winter season.

Cheers

xx
Alternative energy 2

Started by Greengiant152 on Frugal Living

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 10:21
by Alastair-I
xx
Alternative energy

Started by MontyTom on Frugal Living

12 Replies
Last post February 28, 2007, 12:57
by muntjac
xx
bamboo screening - alternative uses

Started by grendel on Frugal Living

6 Replies
Last post June 28, 2011, 22:50
by digalotty
xx
small bottles

Started by chrissie B on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post July 12, 2017, 17:56
by sarajane

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 34 queries.