Vegetable Boxes

• 20 Replies

kezlou

Vegetable Boxes
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 10:02 »
A problem you may have with veg boxes is that people demand certain things. For instance not everyone wants tons of courgettes and sprouts while others do, so you have to supply them with other veg to make the box up.
I for instance didn't want potatoes or sprouts ended with getting 8 courgettes a week by the end i so sick of them. Paying £14 for an organic veg box full of courgettes and rotten veg is not good.

So be careful before setting anything up just in case you do not have enough veg to make up for people who do not want certain things.
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

allstars_princess

• Experienced Member
Vegetable Boxes
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 10:54 »
We started a scheme where locals could pop along to our allotment shop and make a donation to the site improvement fund in return for helping themselves to some lovely fresh veg.  The old boys in the shop would have a quick nip round any sites that had signed up and take any spare produce such as beans, rhubarb or spinach.  This encouraged more crops to grow and also got the locals interested in the site.  

We have just expanded this idea so a huge fresh box of vegetables is delivered to a local school whereby mums who use the services there can help themselves and leave a donation to the growers.  

I think it is a great idea.  :)

Parsnip

Vegetable Boxes
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 12:08 »
It's a superb idea A_p !!

compostqueen

Vegetable Boxes
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 12:10 »
Well, no sign of Leisurely who started this tread  :(     All our expert advice going to waste  :D

Leisurely

Vegetable Boxes
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 21:14 »
I would like to thank every one who contributes to this forum, I do find all the advice given to be fantastic especially when it is given to a topic I have raised personally. It may appear rude of me not to have replied earlier, this is because I do not always have access to a computer. I, like so many in this day and time have little and so often no money for things I would like to give my family. An allotment for me is not only a hobby for the weekend but a place where I can grow food to live more comfortably. My interest about veg boxes is mainly to raise a little bit of money from surplus produce. Today I put together a box of onions, potatoes, leeks, swede and carrots and took it to an elderly neighbour of mine intending to maybe get a couple of pound. She was so impressed with the box that she gave me some cake and a drink of tea. I realised very soon that she was less well off than me, but I left with a greater wealth than money, friendship

compostqueen

Vegetable Boxes
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 00:09 »
Hi there, glad to see you're back to read all the suggestions

Allotments are great places, and important too given the current straits we're in. Mind you I'd still grow me own even if I was a millionairess. It's just something that's ingrained  :D

Have you thought of car boots for your surplus?

xx
Mix for boxes

Started by alan bell on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 22:31
by alan bell
xx
veg boxes...

Started by savbo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 21:54
by Beetroot queen
xx
Bug and Bee boxes

Started by janiejakemum on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 14, 2009, 20:15
by SAMANTHA MOLLY
xx
Potatoes in boxes

Started by Tenhens on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 21, 2021, 17:08
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 28 queries.