Autumn Planting

• 4 Replies

Scrubby

Autumn Planting
« on: August 14, 2008, 00:47 »
Hello all

Total newbie to year round veg gardening...

As some lovely people very kindly removed the veg that I had grown over the summer one night last week, I was thinking of turning the bed over and planting some thngs up for autumn and winter growing.

What, if anything is good to sow/plant for this time?
Why so serious?

iwantanallotment

Autumn Planting
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 01:12 »
Wow, I'm sorry your veggies disappeared  :shock:
Could it have been a pest?

You could be sowing/planting winter & spring cabbages now, winter onions and garlic in a few weeks, lettuces, radishes & other quick salad crops, winter hardy spring onions, spinach, potatoes in containers/bags for Christmas/winter, overwintering broad beans, ie Sutton Dwarf.......oh, and Aquadulce Claudia broad beans....lots of things really.
Good luck   :wink:

dugless

Autumn Planting
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 07:28 »
I was afraid that sort of thing was going to happen, as prices rise in the shops. how easy is it to raid someones allotment. :evil:
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

Scrubby

Autumn Planting
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 20:46 »
Oh, it was most definitely a pest!  One in a van with a knife for cutting through the net over my veg!  :evil:

They came twice, once to take my growbags, empty pots, the things I had already in pots, including a lovely little bay tree and the second time to clear out my veggie plot and take the remaining potted plants.  I am so gutted!

Thanks for the advice, I shall go to the garden centre and scope out some good varieties and hope that it doesn't happen again!

Onions and garlic sound good, as does lettuce and spring onion and the broad beans...

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Autumn Planting
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 21:18 »
Sorry to hear that Scrubby  :evil:  Some folks are just evil  :evil:

Perhaps not the first thing on your mind but did you report it to the police?  I know that the general concensus is that they won't do anything / won't catch anyone, but sometimes they do and they need to know who to return the stuff to.

Also, if you report each and every incident to them that happens on the allotments it will show the chief constable that there's a problem there and more resources could be diverted to the allotments.

This is an uphill battle I'm currently waging against our plotholders who are of the 'won't do anything' brigade, but the fact is that often they DO know who's done it and can return property to the rightful owner.

Good to see you're practical about your loss though,  there's some that whine and moan and threaten to give it all up each time a setback happens but that's just not the way to be  :D

xx
Autumn Planting

Started by MyAchingBack on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 02, 2012, 21:02
by sunshineband
question
Autumn planting veg

Started by Bertie9491 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2022, 07:42
by lettice
xx
Autumn planting?

Started by Beccy on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 22:46
by j haywood
xx
Autumn planting shallots?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post October 12, 2011, 11:07
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.478 seconds with 33 queries.