No Parsnips

• 19 Replies

gobs

No Parsnips
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 22:23 »
Quote from: "lincspoacher"
Speaking as a novice, why do you plant seeds into the ground? Why dont you start all plants in the greenhouse in plug trays, fibre pots or ring culture pots, then plant them out when they have got going ?

Right question is: why do you plant anything indoors? - Because something eats them or whatever, grahh, not that I want to or it's normal in any way, also expensive and time consuming.

Anything that can go out, is going out, cheaper, less effort, better plants. :tongue2:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
No Parsnips
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 22:48 »
That is a good question lincspoacher.

The old fashioned tried and tested method with seeds is to put them straight into the soil as nature intended.

A lot of people have been doing it for years and feel they have no need to use gadgets.

They find satisfaction in what they do.

I think that I am correct in saying that the vast majority of us on this forum are gardening as a hobby. It is the achievement more than the end product because when we are successful we very often produce more than we can use and end up giving away produce.

We want to grow things, experiment and learn. Not everyone has a greenhouse and even if they had. Some plants do actually perform better grown in the cold ground. Forcing some plants  with things like propagators, plug trays and so on, can result in weak spindly seedlings.

Speaking for myself, I find a sense of achievement in growing things for the minimal possible cost. Using what ever is natural and re-cycling when ever I can.

You see I can't understand people who go fishing, spend anything up to, even over a thousand pounds for a rod & tackle then go out, catch a fish and throw it back. Nor do I see any purpose in climbing a mountain or rowing across the Ocean. Perhaps the people who do what I think is odd, can't understand me and would ask why I spend the whole day tending the earth to produce something I could buy in any supermarket.

If you want to grow things in gel, fibre pots and start them off with what ever you think is ideal for you and it makes you happy, you carry on doing just that.
If it rots compost it
If it burns burn it
If it is chocolate eat it

Trillium

No Parsnips
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 00:50 »
I plant straight into the ground because its just plain easier and saves time.

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
No Parsnips
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 09:21 »
Quote from: "iwantanallotment"
Quote from: "amberleaf"
I did try the bucket job but they got too big too soon and the resulting parsnips looked looked like something from a 1950s science fiction film made in Pinewood studios.

Oh dear  :lol:  Wonder what happened there?!
Must say, my parsnips have been perfectly shaped, and carrots too. Although they didn't grow too fast - and still aren't - maybe that's what did it?
Do you have a pic of them amberleaf, would love to see?

I have never been into photography so have no pictures to share. Sorry.

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
No Parsnips
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 09:47 »
Quote from: "amberleaf"
That is a good question lincspoacher.

You see I can't understand people who go fishing, spend anything up to, even over a thousand pounds for a rod & tackle then go out, catch a fish and throw it back. Nor do I see any purpose in climbing a mountain or rowing across the Ocean. Perhaps the people who do what I think is odd, can't understand me and would ask why I spend the whole day tending the earth to produce something I could buy in any supermarket.

good comment amberleaf. I get this all the time from the non growers at work, why bother when you can just buy them? i have the pleasure of having convinced one of our staunchest buyers to have a go at growing this year, hes only got a 8x4ft plot but its great when he comes to me to tell how things are growing! :D  I get the sam with other hobbies, particularly the ham radio, people ask why bother when a mobile phone works? some people just dont get it...  I fully agree about fishing, if your not going to eat it, why waste the whole day?

someone mentioned seed orientation - can this be elaborated on?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Parsnips

Started by GaryH on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 29, 2009, 10:54
by Novice but totally hooked
xx
Parsnips

Started by oleanders on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 11, 2006, 15:22
by Debz and Jon
xx
Parsnips at last

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post June 06, 2011, 10:21
by Anton

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 35 queries.