i need help with clay...heavy clay

• 4 Replies

cindieloo

« on: May 10, 2008, 11:07 »
Ok this is the problem...and I am sure someone can help. i got my new allotment end of last year and managed to dig three beds in time for the frost to break the soil down...
However...I have recently been turning over some other patches and sadly the clods are turning...well...have turned into what can only be described as large and small rocks! How an earth (see what i did then!) can I get this soil broken down..or even get it to breakup and mix in some compost etc...

Please help me.....I need to get me courgette plant in!!

Thanks

Swee'pea

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 11:22 »
For courgettes you'd be best off grabbing a load of well rotted down manure compost and mixing it into a 12 - 18" square patch ( disregard the 'boulders' or try giving them a hard whack with edge of spade or garden fork a few times ;)....make a mound with a small moat around edge to direct water to the route of the plant and then plant the courgette in middle of the mound ....make sure you manure and also builders grit to the plot in autumn and let the frosts break down the clods of earth.....also add lime to plot too to over winter and that will help clay to begin to bind into more manageable clumps....going to take a lot of time same as mine I'm afraid :) Good luck with it but more importantly plant and enjoy regardless ;) I know I am going to :) The other alternative is to either hire or find some kind soul to rotovate it for you down to a fine tilth...plant then mulch heavily to keep it moist

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 12:58 »
I know your problem! Try attacking the plot after rain or soak with a sprinkler when the damper rocks may be easier to handle. Borrow a decent rotovator like a Merry Tiller and see if that works for you.

Dig out cubes and fill with compost / manure mix and plant in there. Come autumn get it dug, no excuses. Just like I did (hope you don't read my diary!)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

daveylamp

• happy planter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 09:03 »
plenty of fresh grass cuttings spread out and worked in with hoe did this over the last 3 years and now can dig with one hand (well almost)
also a cheap alternative to sharp sand was crushed and prepaired glass from local council reclaim department half the price of sand.
and the best of all strawy horse manure.
plus a bale of wheat straw every autum left to rot in corner of plot then dug in autum. worked for me. best of luck
dave.
I'll beat this heavy clay yet. now almost there works well now

woodburner

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 09:58 »
Make 4ft wide beds and keep off them, once they are made. Use a fork rather than a spade unless you are properly turning stuff under. Plus all of the above, except beware rotivating as it can cause a pan at the level the blades go down to.  HTH :)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
Heavy clay

Started by Rocinante on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 05, 2016, 15:23
by Headgardener22
xx
Improving heavy clay with sand

Started by ThePragmatist on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 12, 2012, 16:54
by mumofstig
xx
Potatoes in heavy clay soil

Started by mctoon on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 08, 2016, 11:04
by Goosegirl
xx
carrots and heavy clay soil.

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 02, 2009, 21:27
by pushrod

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 28 queries.