Getting your patch ready for planting.

• 4 Replies

kizza

• Experienced Member
« on: December 26, 2006, 21:59 »
Hi Im new to gardening and have just dug my patch over. I want to plant in spring. i have put chicken manure on the top of it, but I need some advice on how much farmyard manure to put onto that and how and when to dig this all in. also is there any other things you can put on your patch to help the soil, and make it more fertile?

shaun

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 07:15 »
not to sure about chicken poo as i dont use it,but cow muck can be spread on the top off your roughly dug ground now and left there a few months,then come spring dig it in by hand but a rotavator is much better as it mixes every thing up.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 23:02 »
Hi Kizza
As a general rule chicken poo is stronger than farmyard manure so if you don't need to improve your soil structure to much you may get away without the bulky farmyard manure. I assume that your chicken poo is the pelleted sort not fresh as this is far to strong to put straight down.
You can help the fertility of your soil by digging in any rotted down vegetable based substance or  spreading it over the ground now and digging in later. I use old potting compost from my hanging baskets, window boxes, etc.
Plan out were you want your compost heaps to go and start them as soon as you can. Can you get leaves from your local council? ours seem quite happy to dump all they can at our lottie, these will rot down over the year to give the best soil conditioner you can get.
What kind of soil have you got? find out and this will help you decide what kind/quantity of manure/conditioner to use.
Cheers
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

shaun

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 09:23 »
if you add raw chicken manure in large quantity's to a clay soil it tends to go very sticky aswell,your right richy i'm sure i read it contains 4 times as much plant food as farmyard manure so if this is added i'm sure you would end up with a realy unbalanced soil.

muntjac

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 22:47 »
remember to put some chuckpoop in a big barrel and add water to create liquid fertiliser great for toms.cabbage etc / put a jam jar ful in a water can and top up dont use neat . dont use on onions as it pushes mr foliage than tuber up
still alive /............

xx
getting ready for the next planting

Started by moam1 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 07:14
by moam1
xx
At last our veg plot is ready and some planting done

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 13, 2006, 09:24
by Biscombe
xx
planting leeks on onion patch

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2012, 14:28
by missmoneypenny
xx
allotment plot winter dug ready for planting

Started by clive f on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 06, 2008, 22:34
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.516 seconds with 33 queries.