Capon chooks?????

• 15 Replies

becky

• Experienced Member
    • http://chickentopia.blogspot.com/
Capon chooks?????
« on: December 19, 2006, 12:53 »
:D Hi all. I have a question. What is a " capon chicken"?, my nan keeps going on about them, and how my grandad used to sort them out on the farm, but I haven't a clue what is done to the chook to make it a capon. Any ideas????
Peas out!

becky

• Experienced Member
Capon chooks?????
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 12:55 »
Sorry I meant to put that in under Poultry, not Grow your Own! 5 lashes for me!!!

Huswyf

• http://huswyf.livejournal.com
Capon chooks?????
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 14:17 »
It's a castrated male chicken.

Wassail

Karen

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Capon chooks?????
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 16:18 »
So how is that done  :?:  :shock: and why do they grow so big  :?:

muntjac

Capon chooks?????
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 16:24 »
.. read the following for a more detailed description. before the surgical process was used we used to inject them with a female hormone pill ,into the neck skin this had the affect of making the cockerel sterile

The cockerel is taken off feed and water 12 to 24 hours prior to surgery and postoperative antibiotics are given to reduce the possible chances of infection.  Intestines are not full and crowding the abdominal cavity during the operation. The partially empty intestines settle away from the testes, thus providing improved visibility within the body cavity. The bird must be penned on wire or a clean floor or it may ingest litter material.

Surgical caponizing involves total removal of the testes at about two to four weeks of age.  The operation may be performed on older birds, but the young bird suffers less adverse effects and survival rate is higher. Removal of both complete testes is necessary since any fragments that remain will grow and produce enough male hormones to create a "slip." While a "slip" will not be a normally functioning cockerel, it will also not yield the desirable meat qualities of a good capon.

Using a sharp scalpel or knife, a one-inch incision is made through the skin and other tissues between the two posterior ribs.  The testes are located on the dorsal wall at the anterior end of the kidneys, posterior to the lungs. The testes of a three-week-old cockerel are about the size of a large piece of grain and may be yellowish, white, gray or black in color.

Both testes are surgically removed from a single incision, the lower or left testes removed first.  Care must be taken not to rupture large blood vessels located between the two testes. The upper, right testis is then similarly removed. In the commercial industry electrically heated cautery equipment is used.  It prevents excessive bleeding and may reduce the incidence of "slips". This is what may pose a problem for a private citizen who whishes to caponize and lacks the skills. Chickens lack blood-clotting agents and thus excessive bleeding could cause death. Once the bird is released, the incision should close without need for sutures or bandage. Following surgery the birds should be provided feed and water in a clean pen where they are not crowded. Crowding may cause cannibalism.
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Capon chooks?????
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 22:46 »
Thanks Muntjac that sounds a like very skilled operation  :!:

Wikipedia says Capons, as a foodstuff, are banned in the United Kingdom.

The didn't used to be.  I can remember having one in about 1980ish.

muntjac

Capon chooks?????
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 22:52 »
ok i will say this politly . if you take away a males  bits they put wieght on , same as females do when they have a similar operation . i do a few each year . i still have the pil injection available but it is illegal to use it  as the boffins thought that the hormones may effect human reproduction , it didnt bother me or my daughter  as i didnt eat them for 6 weeks after he cocks started to crow again by this time they had gained 9 lbs or so in meat on them and the chemical had gone out of thier system , we do not eat the necks of caponised birds done in this fashin however  :D

this may be of interest anty
http://www.agriturismomantova.it/eng/Percorsi_Cappone.asp

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Capon chooks?????
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 22:59 »
I got a bit confused at first Karl, as OH said that a caponised chicken had an injection, then I read on here that a capon is castrated.  But then you mentioned the pil injection.  So did they used to give the injection instead of castration, or as well as????

becky

• Experienced Member
Capon chooks?????
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 12:59 »
Thanks for answering, the only thing now, is to tell my nan she was right, which can be painful, as she is always right!! She had said something about injections and other goings on, but couldn't quite remember what was actually done. It all sounds a little to technical for my liking.

muntjac

Capon chooks?????
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 13:09 »
its seriosly not something for an amatuer to try without being shown exactly what it entails , you can order capons from the butcher for about £12 a bird , if you want one i suggest folks go down that road  :)

becky

• Experienced Member
Capon chooks?????
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 18:34 »
Oh blimey, I hope you didn't think I was going to actually attempt caponing a chicken. Sorry if I misled any folks! :oops:
Merry Christmas to everybody!!!

muntjac

Capon chooks?????
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 20:08 »
my gods ...... had visions of a mad woman runing sceeaming round the garden knife in hand shouting  " here nice cocky  " :lol:

Garden Gnome

Capon chooks?????
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 19:59 »
Ye gods and little chickens!

I haven't seen the word, 'anaesthetic' in any of the above descriptions of surgery.

Please, pleeease tell me there is some used...

I do recall many years ago there was a little fuss in the press about a good chef in London who started to grow nice boobs. This was when his voice started to go higher.

His favourite food? Taking home all the capon necks and making something tasty out of them. Unfortunately, with the benefit of hindsight, he and doctors realised  that the capon neck was where the gurly pill was placed...

muntjac

Capon chooks?????
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 20:37 »
no anesthetic but antiseptic is used , chickens for some reason do not show pain reflexes .i have had them with skin tears from rushing through bushes and one also tore its flank open on barbed wire being chased by a cat .i caught the bird up pulled the flap over and just tucked a couple of stitches in and it scabbed up neatly after a couple of days and the bird just carried on normally after i had done it it went off into an isolation pen pecking away at the milet fronds i had put down. one of my lady amhursts tore its egg vent on passing a strange mishapen egg and i sewed it up  .a tear of about 1/2 inch. and it went on to breed very well for 5 yrs .... if you do need to go to a vet be warned as thier are very few in the uk that actually know how to deal with them , and the usual advice is .. here's the bill £££££££££££ i cant help more than that :x

Garden Gnome

Capon chooks?????
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 10:12 »
Blimey!

Thank you, Muntjac! Illuminating as ever. You should write a book, no, really...

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 36 queries.