composting toilets

• 13 Replies

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
composting toilets
« on: December 13, 2006, 21:54 »
just wondering how many of you have got composting toilets on site as we are looking to get one on ours.are they easy to maintain,and where did you get if from,need as much info as possible so we can put in for the grant from the powers that be :lol:
ta

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
composting toilets
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 08:05 »
Does a bottle in the shed count?  :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

noshed

Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
composting toilets
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 16:00 »
I really, really, really, have to apologise about this, but the first thing that went through my mind when I saw the title of the thread was 'how do you rot down porcelain?' :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
composting toilets
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 17:31 »
It's not just me then

milkman

composting toilets
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 19:10 »
my sister's allotment site in edinburgh has an operating composting toilet which apparently is very user friendly.  Unfortunately I don't know what site she is on, I don't know what make it is (i think it was home-made) and she hasn't got a digi camera yet so I've never seen a pic.  But I thought it would help for you to know that composting toilets really are alive and kicking on other allotments.  

I've often thought about trying to get one on our site which has recently progressed from having a corrugated tin 'shed' with bucket to an easily vandalisable porta-loo thingy complete without door handle (neither of which I've ever had the bravery to use...).
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
composting toilets
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 19:43 »
How about a treebog ! Unlike a conventional compost toilet, a tree bog should never need emptying, I've seen one before and have thought about one for my plot as our lotties loo is a tin shed and bucket job.
Heres a link to a description... Treebog

Here is a better link
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
composting toilets
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 22:07 »
Liked the idea of a treebog until I read through the link.  You can't have one within 10 metres of a water course and we have a land drain behind our garden.  And not allowed in areas liable to flooding.  Well, this place hasn't flooded in at least 60 years according to a neighbour, but the whole of Lincolnshire apart from the wolds is on a flood plain I think!!!!!!

Mind you, Loads of places have septic tanks, so surely if the place flooded, we are going to get stunk out anyway??? lol

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
composting toilets
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 22:21 »
All them septic tanks flooding don't bear thinking about wot a pong !
I can't have a treebog at home either we have a brook at the side of the house. We've been here for 16 years and its only flooded twice both times after the local idiots have thrown pallets, shopping trolleys etc in it. Also means I cant bury anyone in my back garden either ( not that I would want too! )
But the good news is that the environment agency has now re-classified our 2 inch deep 18 inch wide brook into a river!!!  :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
composting toilets
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 22:28 »
OOOh, lucky you.  I've always wanted a river running through my garden, even if its only a litle one, it sounds better than land drain, or dyke or ditch!!!!!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
composting toilets
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 22:47 »
It's fenced off from the rest of the garden as we have children, and the people before us decided to concrete the bottom so they could keep it clean!!!
My new Neighbours  and I just leave it now and the concrete is covered in algae etc but we have no smell from it in the summer, we also get bullheads living in the algae, which means we now get regular visits from the  kingfisher, and heron. I think its slowly reverting to a more natural look at the top end.

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
composting toilets
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 06:41 »
thanks for all your replys,we are going to have to get something sorted ,i mean there are equal men and women at the site now and im in danger of getting my name in paper for indecent exposure :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
kids are ok they have potty in shed :lol:

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
composting toilets
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 09:05 »
keeping it away from the watercourse is a health thing, some very nasty bugs just love our muck, and dont mind too much being sucked into the water works afterwards,

there are ways around it, whats called a 'bund' which is an impermeable barrier (plastic and concrete) seperating the site from the water course, but they need EA approval and cost a ton, so probably not worth the hassle
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

Oliveview

composting toilets
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 09:42 »
We have a what we were told is a ´soak away´ described as a very deep pit full of bricks (special ones with holes in) and the sides are concreted - the loo empties into this...... it lasts for about 30 years depending on how much you use the loo I guess!  All I can say is the soil above this ´pit´ is very rich :D
Pamela

xx
Composting

Started by chris mutter on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 15, 2020, 21:19
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
Composting

Started by susiebeb on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 06, 2016, 21:22
by ilan
xx
COMPOSTING

Started by TINTIN on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 18, 2008, 17:29
by lincspoacher
xx
Composting ivy.

Started by Anton 2 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 28, 2021, 22:33
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 33 queries.