which chicken and what house

• 5 Replies

mumof4

« on: April 29, 2008, 18:07 »
Can anyone suggest a good company that sell chicken coups/hen house.

My husband to my shook has agreed to have chickens in fact he has even offered to buid a walk in run and suggested we get 5 chickens.
So i need to find a lockable hen house to go inside. I understand that we could get a small shed but i'm confused about collecting the eggs, most premade hen houses seem to have a section where you find the eggs.

Can anyone also suggest a breed we want them for the eggs but also they will be pets with the eggs being a bonus. But for me i would be disoppointed if they didn't lay many.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Re: which chicken and what house
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 19:01 »
Quote from: "mumof4"
most premade hen houses seem to have a section where you find the eggs.

oooh sounds like magic  :wink:

they are called nest boxes, for 5 girlies, just make up a couple of wooden boxes 12" x 12 and hang inside the shed.

hey presto...all done

and as for breeds, i hear that polands are rather pretty  :D

mumof4

Re: which chicken and what house
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 20:13 »
Quote from: "babe"

they are called nest boxes, for 5 girlies, just make up a couple of wooden boxes 12" x 12 and hang inside the shed.

hey presto...all done

and as for breeds, i hear that polands are rather pretty  :D

many thanks - yes, nest boxes

for the perch i was thinking about using broom handles would they do the job.

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 20:34 »
Hi mumof4.
If you decide to buy a shed and you want an external sticky-outy nest box, Nathan bought one for his documented on this thread....

THREAD LINK

It looks good and he seems to be happy with it. You just cut rectangle out of the side and screw/nail it in place. Presumably a bit of framing inside the hole would be good too.

Rob

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 20:58 »
Hi mumof4 - your not far from me!!! I have a friend who makes superb henhouses for £135 suitable for around 6 medium size birds. I have one and is excellent! He is based nr Gloucester.  They are very secure with nestboxes attached. One of the most important things for me when choosing a henhouse is ease of cleaning and secure from predators and vermin.
I have some birds available soon if you are interested in faverolles or cochins.

mumof4

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 09:23 »
Quote from: "Foxy"
Hi mumof4 - your not far from me!!! I have a friend who makes superb henhouses for £135 suitable for around 6 medium size birds. I have one and is excellent! He is based nr Gloucester.  They are very secure with nestboxes attached. One of the most important things for me when choosing a henhouse is ease of cleaning and secure from predators and vermin.
I have some birds available soon if you are interested in faverolles or cochins.

Thanks - I thinking about gettting some in a few weeks as i need to get an area of the garden ready.

xx
new chicken house :-)

Started by pawsnclaws on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 17:12
by Vember
xx
New chicken house

Started by avilla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2011, 05:12
by terri
xx
example of chicken house

Started by dshand on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 31, 2008, 22:53
by mumsy
xx
Which chicken house?

Started by dub dub on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 07, 2014, 21:25
by grinling

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 31 queries.