Chatting > Chatting on the Plot

Go down memory lane.

(1/1)

Goosegirl:
The post about crockery, cutlery etc has made me think of how many things of personal value we have stored away and haven't looked at them for ages. I have some lovely ornaments including several Lladro pieces, other  items in glass cupboards, some nice jewellery which I occasionally use, and a wooden box of what I call My Treasures. This consists of various items like bone and ebony glove stretchers, shoe hooks, decorative spoons, a silver cheese scoop, three rather old bone and wood awls, and a tiny little red leather purse thingy that holds a manicure set and has "For My Ladies Fingers" on the front. I love to look at them on occasions and maybe take them out and hold them for a moment. I can honestly say I have nothing stashed away that I like looking at except for a rather nice ornate black metal fireguard which won't quite fit in front of our imitation wood burner electric room heater.

AlaninCarlisle:
My house is full of that kind of stuff. Sadly, looking at those pieces gets me upset at the memory of the passing of my wife over three years ago. She was the sentimental one who kept things like that because of the memories. I just hung onto things if I thought they'd be useful

jaydig:

--- Quote from: AlaninCarlisle on August 27, 2023, 10:04 ---My house is full of that kind of stuff. Sadly, looking at those pieces gets me upset at the memory of the passing of my wife over three years ago. She was the sentimental one who kept things like that because of the memories. I just hung onto things if I thought they'd be useful

--- End quote ---
I'm having the same problem at the moment while trying to tidy out some of our storage spaces.  The silliest thing can set me off and then I can't shake the tears for the rest of the day.  I suppose it gets easier with time, but at the moment it's hard.  Latest silly thing was half a dozen little sea shells that Jim had picked up for me on our last holiday together, still in the pocket of a pair of Jim's trousers, and now on my bedside table.

Goosegirl:
It's ok to get upset because things bring back happier times. It keeps years of memories alive as they should be and no shame in that. That's what they're there for and why you kept them all this time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version