Left without a word!

• 7 Replies

jaydig

Left without a word!
« on: May 03, 2022, 19:13 »
I thought we were getting along splendidly.   I gave you everything you wanted, food, warmth, attention - yet once again you have left me without a word.  No explanation as to why. No indication that anything was wrong with our relationship.  Only this morning did I discover your prone body, utterly lifeless when, only yesterday you were blooming with health and vigour.   I will NEVER know why cucumbers lull one into a false sense of security, appear to doing really well, and then expire without any warning whatsoever.  Not even a note to say why.  Thinking of giving up and getting my cucs from the local supermarket.  Only last year I had so many I didn't know what to do with them all, but this year - disaster!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Left without a word!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 19:55 »
I totally understand your feeling, I'm pretty sure they have a death wish  ::) You only have to look at them the wrong way and off they pop.....
I only sowed mine yesterday, but sowed twice as many as I really need, 'cos I know what they're like  :nowink:

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 20:19 »
I haven't sowed mine yet, so there's time to get another batch going. I stick to ridge cucumbers these days, they're much tougher.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 20:56 »
I grow only two hills of cucumbers at a time.  Otherwise, I will be completely outnumbered.  Right now, I have one hill of Pepinex type cucumbers (people here call them English hothouse cucumbers  :) ) and one hill of "Garden Sweet Burpless" cucumbers (that second name sounds a bit unrefined...  :nowink: ).  They look like they are ready to climb their wire towers any day now.

They will look great for a month or two, producing more than we can eat.  Then, one morning, I will come out and they will look like they've been mugged in a back alley.  Drooping leaves, and fruits ruined by boring larvae.  I do spray, but it is hard to keep up with.

Before they get mugged, we will be having marinated sliced cucumbers and onions two or three times a week!  Perfect for lunch or dinner (I draw the line at breakfast though).  If we have good cucumbers and tomatoes at the same time, maybe we'll have some gazpacho too (keep an eye out for the "Gazpacho Police" though  ??? ).
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

wighty

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 21:02 »
Cucumbers I have no problem with, it's courgettes, either they don't germinate or they only produce male flowers.  I know the problem with cucumber plants as we tried  just one and got nothing so always plant two and then have to many too for us to eat.  Wapello (who seems to have disappeared from here during the pandemic)  gave me a plant from America that only produced Cucumbers that were about 8" long and were absolutely right for us.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 05:56 »
Oh dear, that's worrying...

I was thinking of moving two cuces, potted up into 3litre pots, from a shelf high up, to their final place on the floor, out of the blazing sun, but warm enough!

I suppose a call to Pickfords may be the answer, but do they deal with veg which have a death wish?

jezza

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 07:21 »
Hello we use to have that problem with cucumbers we use to collect the rain water for cucumbers  if the watering cans were filled up the night before watering the next morning there wad an algae in the cans which we associated with the cucumbers dying  water straight from the water butts no problem   jezza

Rob the rake

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 23:36 »
The indoor ones seem fine, but prone to mould later in the season no matter what variety. It doesn't seem to matter whether the G/H is filthy or as clean as an operating theatre, the result is still the same. Gave up on trying to find a resistant strain, or indeed an answer to the problem and just grow my faves now and put up with the issue.
Outdoor ridge cukes are a different matter and are so prolific they become impossible to give away. I've even been known to wave my cucumbers at random passers-by on the path that passes the allotment car park and have yet to be arrested for it. Some of them even accepted one or two; the Catholic vicar took a whole bag full!
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

xx
The C word

Started by AndyRVTR on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post November 29, 2020, 23:19
by Aunt Sally
xx
Cannot get into my word processor.

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post September 12, 2019, 10:33
by jezza
xx
Word table gone wonky.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post September 28, 2018, 21:51
by madcat
xx
Word we arent supposed to mention

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post September 18, 2023, 08:59
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 45 queries.