Peat Free Compost

• 23 Replies

Florablunder

Re: Peat Free Compost
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2022, 10:03 »
I've added a picture - hopefully it's not too small to tell. The spheres are around 2mm to 4mm in size. They do seem to be distributed throughout the compost - which does make me wonder if they are actually
. . . Is this normal? Or are these actually some kind of fertilizer? . . .  :mad:

It's hard to tell without a photograph, but those could be 'prills' of slow-release fertilizer, added to the compost.
fertilizer.
slug_eggs.jpg

comfreykid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2022, 21:50 »
Do you still have the bag of Sylvagrow compost ?  Is it the Tub and Basket compost ? Only asking because the white spheres could be a water retaining aid that is added to their tub and basket compost.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2022, 11:04 »
I've added a picture - hopefully it's not too small to tell. The spheres are around 2mm to 4mm in size. They do seem to be distributed throughout the compost - which does make me wonder if they are actually
. . . Is this normal? Or are these actually some kind of fertilizer? . . .  :mad:

It's hard to tell without a photograph, but those could be 'prills' of slow-release fertilizer, added to the compost.
fertilizer.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet those are fertilizer or some other additive.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

lettice

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2022, 12:46 »
Looked up that compost on the web and it mentions;

White mould: under certain conditions a white mould may appear on the surface
of some of the particles. This is entirely normal and not harmful to humans, plants
or pets.

https://melcourt.co.uk/products/sylvagrow-multi-purpose/

The ingredients mention 30% of plastics. Sounds a bit excessive.

Agatha

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2022, 15:23 »
Looked up that compost on the web and it mentions;

White mould: under certain conditions a white mould may appear on the surface
of some of the particles. This is entirely normal and not harmful to humans, plants
or pets.

https://melcourt.co.uk/products/sylvagrow-multi-purpose/

The ingredients mention 30% of plastics. Sounds a bit excessive.

Where did you find a mention of plastics in the ingredients?  The only reference I can find to  plastic is in their packaging, where it says they use 30% post consumer plastic waste in their bags.

Those little granules look like the moisture-retaining or fertilising ones they put in compost sometimes, but i haven't had any in my bags of Sylvacourt.  Wondering if it's maybe a different product in the Sylvacourt range, not the multipurpose one?
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Florablunder

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2022, 10:39 »
Thanks for the replies - to clarify - it is the general purpose one, not for hanging baskets. I've used over half the bag now to repot stuff, and these 'eggs' are spread fairly evenly throughout - so I'm leaning towards these being some kind of supplement/fertilizer. Though it's a shame they look so similar to slug eggs! Would also help if they were explained on the outside of the bag - I really should email the company and ask them about it (will report back here if I get a response).

Hortic

Re: Peat Free Compost drainage
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2022, 21:11 »
Hello. I'm having trouble getting my own post started here, so hope using this as a reply is ok. It is about peat free compost.

This year I found Heart of Eden peat free compost. It was well rotted with a good consistency, though I was a bit concerned about the smell of the accelerant that lingered when the bag was opened. I used it to plant my greenhouse tomatoes and melons in.

What I do is use a 5ltr pot and this pot is placed in a dish pan with perlite or vermiculite. Surplus water drains through and evaporates giving a moister area around the plant. The plants do well. But I found this year water drains very quickly and I have had to deal with pots sitting in water, which isn't good.

What I'd like to ask is if anyone else has found the Heat of Eden or other peat free to be too free draining.

Agatha

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2022, 19:42 »
Sorry, I've no experience of that brand.  I've been very impressed with the quality of the green-waste-free Sylvagrow after 6 months though - it's definitely going to be my go-to brand next year.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2022, 17:57 »
Good afternoon everyone,

I Gurgled "Peat based Compost"  and well over half the peat on the list was for "Peat FREE compost" what can you do to get a straight answer to a straight question?

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

xx
B&Q = Peat free.

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post October 22, 2022, 13:19
by lettice
xx
Peat free composts!

Started by celjaci on General Gardening

16 Replies
Last post March 21, 2009, 21:58
by Teen76
xx
Monty Dons war on peat based compost

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2020, 19:02
by rowlandwells
xx
free compost bins

Started by muckyboots on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post January 09, 2019, 08:37
by Veg Plot 1B

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 45 queries.