Growing > General Gardening

Ideas for levelling an uneven sward?

<< < (2/3) > >>

sunshineband:
Looks like a long old job there. It'll be a fine balance to get that point of balance between slimy, slippery clay and concrete.

And stone picking, don't mention stone picking  :lol: :lol:

Do make sure you have a plan for all those stones or you'll put them in one place and then have to move them all … we used our first "mountain" as hardcore for a patio area, and the ongoing bucketsful every week to line the inside of our wire fences to make it less attractive for rabbits to burrow in (despite already having the wire buried in the ground with an out-turn 6ins below the surface

DanielCoffey:
Yes we have rabbits but they are not pests (yet) because we are not growing anything (yet).

In fact we have pretty much the full set... rabbits, wood pigeons (of course), pheasant, dove, partridge and roe deer. So far the rabbits have ignored the 50-pack of bare root hawthorn I planted last winter because it has the plastic spirals and the roe deer are a bit leery about approaching the house that closely. When the trees go in, it may be another matter. If they chew through a tall standard oak, we'll be needing professionals to make sure there is venison on someone's menu.

sunshineband:
Yes we also have pheasants, mice, voles, rats, moles, wood pigeons and the occasional deer, as well as the usual range of insect pests.

Sometimes I marvel that we have any crops at all in the face of such adversity  :lol: :lol: :lol:

We do grow a lot under enviromesh, debris netting or bird netting, and use snappy traps in the polytunnels. The latest in our armoury is a solar powered gadget with an underground spike that emits a regular vibrating buzz, to encourage moles to move away. I'll let you know how effective it is!

Rocinante:
I have a simular problem having been invaded by a very unhelpful ground worker who must be related to the moles that brought up the rear. I was quoted ridiculous amounts of money to level and reseed it, its just under half acre so prices where probably justified. Did some sums and it came about that for a bit more money i can buy a two wheeled tractor from BCS with a Power Harrow and do it myself and end up with some useful kit. So waiting for the Autumn to get going and hopefully next year have something that looks like a lawn.

DanielCoffey:
Despite the bad weather we have had yesterday and today, South Ayrshire is still as dry as a bone. It gave us a few hours of light rain and an inch below the surface is still dry and powdery.

I may have to invest in a stand sprinkler and deliberately soak one area, rotavate it and move round.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version