• 11 Replies

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Mulberry
« on: January 23, 2008, 09:23 »
Has anyone ever grown this ?

According to
http://www.chrisbowers.co.uk/mulberries.php

A long lived and very decorative tree that is self fertile. They prefer a sheltered, warm sunny position and are often grown against a sunny, south facing wall. The Mulberry is very slow growing and normally starts to fruit at 8 years old. If grown in containers they will fruit much earlier, often at 3-4 years old. Pruning is simply a matter of training and pruning as required for shape, and trimming the side shoots to 4 or 5 leaves in late July to encourage fruit spurs. Although very slow growing, they can, after many years, reach a height of 20'+ if grown in the open garden. The fruits are dark red, almost black, and resemble a very large raspberry, or a loganberry, with a delicious, but rather sharp flavour that is quite unique

gobs

Mulberry
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 10:15 »
No, large tree. Never heard or read about how they take to container growing.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mushroom

Mulberry
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:03 »
I've heard of 'mulberry bush'. But not of 'mulberry tree'. Bush=possible container. Tree=not usually possible container, as it implies a very large growing plant. Just my $0.02.

But if it says it can be grown in a container, then why not ;)

Contadino

• Experienced Member
Mulberry
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 11:38 »
They're common here, but always as big trees.  In fact, I don't think I've seen one less than 20 ft tall (or wide).  They spread out a lot.

If you're thinking about it, bear in mind that the red mulberry fruit stain everything (including car paintwork.)  There is a white mulberry which is a little more environmentally sensitive.  They taste pretty similar.

The fruit is lovely, and you could make wine, jams, confits etc...

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Mulberry
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 12:00 »
Quote from: "Contadino"
They're common here, but always as big trees.  In fact, I don't think I've seen one less than 20 ft tall (or wide).  They spread out a lot.

If you're thinking about it, bear in mind that the red mulberry fruit stain everything (including car paintwork.)  There is a white mulberry which is a little more environmentally sensitive.  They taste pretty similar.

The fruit is lovely, and you could make wine, jams, confits etc...

Really I thought that white mulberry is not very nice.  
Does red mulberry come off with time ?  I am thinking of putting it in the back garden on the patio.  I do not mind stains there if they come out eventually.

What does the fruit taste like ?  
I like strawberries, raspberries, apples, gooseberries, white currants but I do not like pears or cherries.  Do you think I would like mulberries ?

gobs

Mulberry
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 12:14 »
They are a large tree with a shrubby growth habit. Plenty of varieties.

They are both (white and black) very sweet, when ripe, gorgeous but tastes are different, hard to say if you would like them or not.

Apart from the stain bit (mother would not let us in the house), a few words of warning though, fruit does not ripen at the same time, will fall instantly, when ripe. Does not store at all, 1-2 hours, maybe, really needs to be grazed if eaten fresh.

An absolute magnet for wasps and all sorts of flies, including the housefly.

All in all a very messy tree. :wink:

I never could convince my mum to get one, tried long and hard though. :roll:  :lol:

Contadino

• Experienced Member
Mulberry
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 12:28 »
Quote from: "londongardener"
Really I thought that white mulberry is not very nice.  
Does red mulberry come off with time ?  I am thinking of putting it in the back garden on the patio.  I do not mind stains there if they come out eventually.

What does the fruit taste like ?  
I like strawberries, raspberries, apples, gooseberries, white currants but I do not like pears or cherries.  Do you think I would like mulberries ?

Of the ones I've tried, they have a fairly mild flavour.  Difficult to explain what they actually taste of.  Think mild raspberry crossed with mild apple.

The stains take ages to get out - years if left to the elements.  A couple I know transplanted a large red mulberry at a cost of something like EUR 20k (diggers, a lorry to transport it, etc..) as part of the landscaping at a holiday home they rent out.  Their first customers parked their rental car under it and got hit with an insurance claim by the car hire company for the stains the fruit left.  Those customers are now suing the couple for not  telling them the dangers of parking under the tree.  It's also made a mess of the limestone driveway they had put in.   :roll:

Gobs is also right that they ripen over a long period, and then just fall.  It's difficult to just 'harvest' them.

gobs

Mulberry
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 16:00 »
I just read your link, London I'm wondering if they ripen fully round here, as would call their flavour anything but sharp.  The price of them is really scary though!!!!

Anyhow, here is a video of amature growers.  The revenge of the Mulberry tree

brucesgirl

Mulberry
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 16:55 »
Last time we were in the states we went on a ghost-walk and the guide stopped us under a mulberry tree. She said we were lucky it wasn't fruiting season as the fruits stink really bad!

Scribbler

Mulberry
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 17:07 »
They ripen down here and they are very messy. Never mind cars and clothes, they make a real mess on the ground underneath.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

Selkie

Mulberry
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 17:09 »
We saw one growing in the grounds of some stately home in England and even though it wasn't fruiting when we were there, the paving underneath was VERY stained.

splodger

Mulberry
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 17:24 »
i love the fruit - they are very tasty - but they do get quite big and are a bit messy

i can't grow them in my garden - as it's too small - and at the lottie we can't have trees - but i would have one if i could - i might get dad to make some room for one up the woods  :lol:

but for now - i just pick the fruit from my friends tree  :wink:

xx
Mulberry

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2019, 07:50
by Urbanite
xx
mulberry

Started by dustcartkev on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 13, 2016, 18:52
by dustcartkev
xx
Mulberry in a pot

1 Replies
Last post February 17, 2018, 08:38
by snowdrops
xx
Mulberry is it worth it?

1 Replies
Last post November 30, 2018, 10:24
by New shoot

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 35 queries.