Please choose safer slug pellets.

• 13 Replies

Salmo

Please choose safer slug pellets.
« on: April 01, 2016, 08:24 »
Please use slug pellets that contain ferric phosphate rather than metaldehyde.

Metaldehyde is very toxic and remains in the soil for a long time. It kills hedgehogs.

Ferric phosphate is safe for all mammals but kills slugs.

We all know how pleasing it is to see obviously tortured bodies of dead slugs on the surface that you get with metaldehyde.

Ferric phosphate is different in that the slugs creep away to die without any spectacular display of death. If the pellets are being eaten slugs are dying.

Snoop

Re: Please choose safer slug pellets.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 12:44 »
Thanks, Salmo. I didn't know that.

I hope you weren't prompted to post this by a disaster.

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 13:13 »
No disaster. People on another post talking of applying pellets, so I thought I would remind everyone that there is a good alternative to highly toxic metaldehyde. Why is it still allowed to be sold?

The other thing, while I am at it. Whatever you choose to use, it only requires a pellet every few inches to be effective. I do hate to see piles of the stuff.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 13:14 by Salmo »

Christine

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 15:24 »
Me too - but that's the waste of money involved says Scrooge.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 20:26 »
I have ben reading reports that Metaldehyde is now affecting our water , and new restrictions on application have been introduced. They have reduced the maximum amount used per acre and not within 6 m of a watercourse, The situation is being monitored, the concern being that it is very difficult to remove it from our drinking water.

Application is usually on the ground surface but some people use it in potato trenches. I always thought that the poison has to be eaten, so I fail to see how it can work in the ground. By the time the potatoes have grown, the metaldehyde will have been leached from the soil.

Ferric Phosphate may have its own problems. Tests on how it affects earthworms show that it may inhibit growth.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 21:14 »
I always thought that the poison has to be eaten, so I fail to see how it can work in the ground. By the time the potatoes have grown, the metaldehyde will have been leached from the soil.

There are slugs in the soil, specially keeled slugs, so I presume that the slug population is reduced in that area. Whatever the reason - it does seem to work.

neatntidy

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 22:14 »
I couldn't agree more Salmo. Had my lotty 5 years now and never used any slug pellets. But see so many people use them like they are going out of fashion. I put in a small wildlife pond and area to encourage our amphibian friends, use copper collars or egg shells around vulnerable plants and constantly have at least 15 to 20 small glass jar beer (substitute) traps on the go. These get 100's of the little fella every week even through winter. Slugs still get through but keeps em down.

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 22:27 »
Thanks for this info, Salmo. My beds are so new I haven't seen any slugs yet, but I'll be sure to avoid Metaldehyde if I have to resort to slug pellets in the future.

m1ckz

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 03:17 »
so     if u put a pellet every few inches......i pellet is eaten by 1 slug    and you have lots of slugs  how does that work

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 11:24 »
so     if u put a pellet every few inches......i pellet is eaten by 1 slug    and you have lots of slugs  how does that work

Slug pellets are a last resort. If there are that many slugs perhaps you should ask yourself why? Where do they live and breed when not eating your crops? Is the plot hedgehog and frog friendly?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 11:36 »
I have a 'hog friendly garden - but it's more difficult on modern small allotment plots.
Slugs, snails and weed seeds and roots! don't have to travel far from the plot next door  :(

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 13:47 »
Don't forget that you can try nematodes when ground is warm enough if you want to avoid pellets.
Not so good perhaps on clay but advantage is they kill the black keel slugs underground hopefully before they munch your spuds.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

Christine

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 17:05 »
Except that nematodes are not supposed to work on clay soils which is all that we have round here ....

al78

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 12:58 »

Slug pellets are a last resort. If there are that many slugs perhaps you should ask yourself why? Where do they live and breed when not eating your crops? Is the plot hedgehog and frog friendly?

In my case there is a ditch and a hedge running along one side of my plot, providing plenty of places for slugs to thrive. There is a pond nearby with frogs and toads (which I have seen on my plot occasionally) but they will not manage to eat all the slugs, and what they don't eat will soon find your crops. Most slugs are underground and so out of range of surface predators. I would say that a wild shady damp area nearby, and a heavy clay soil which is soggy for most of the winter, and a lack of winter freezes provides favourable conditions for slugs to thrive and breed, to the point where control measures are necessary if I want to get anything for my efforts.

xx
Slug pellets

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 11:18
by Zippy
xx
slug pellets

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 28, 2014, 16:51
by icbradley
xx
slug pellets

Started by peapod on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 11:59
by peapod
xx
slug pellets

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 17:42
by fatcat1955

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 33 queries.