Where to buy and what/when to plant?

• 10 Replies

neonplanet40

Where to buy and what/when to plant?
« on: March 24, 2016, 20:10 »
Hi folks (jsut joined :) ,

I started with an allotment last year and only grew potatoes and onions. Potatoes were hit by blight but the Sarpo survived (it was an awful wet summer). Onions never really grew. I got the onion sets from Sutton Seeds.

I have already got my seed potatoes this year and they are currently chitting.

So a few questions:

I am going to be planting my potatoes in the coming weeks. I will probably plant my onion bulbs at the same time.

Is there anything else I can plant this time of year?
I can't propagate from seeds as where I rent has no room for this. I would be more likely to buy vegetable plants from Sutton seeds again, Is there anywhere else people can recommend?

In terms of veg I like:
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Onions
Cabbage (red and green)
Celery
Leeks
Brussels Sprouts
Carrots
Parsnips

I like all of the above but unsure when it best to plant them all (and harvest) and where to get plants to grow them (if possible). I get married on the 12th July and will be abroad for 2 weeks. So I can't really plant anything that must be harvested or planted from the 12th July to the first week of August.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you :)

Trikidiki

Re: Where to buy and what/when to plant?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 22:58 »
You can sow the seeds for all your brassicas, celery and the leeks in a seed bed on your allotment then transplant them to their growing positions when they are large enough. Parsnips and carrots should be sown in-situ.

I have bought plants from Aldi and had good success with them. You need to find out what is coming in and get them as soon as they arrive as they are kept 'in the dark' and not watered in the stores so go over very quickly. Most garden centres sell plants but are usually much more expensive. We have a local independent hardware store that sells plug plants. Don't buy carrots or parsnips in pots or trays, the chances are the roots have reached the bottom of the pots and turned or 'stopped' so you will not get any decent roots.

DANNY

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 00:22 »
One of the best ways to see whats ready for planting is to spend time walking around a good garden centre,
you'll see all the plants they've grown and are ready  to be continued on in your garden etc,

By buying pre started veg etc it saves you having to sow seeds and keep them at a germinating tempature but its always more costly than sowing your own seeds;

The very best way to know when to sow/plant etc is to get hold of a good garden book and study it during those cold winter evenings when you cant really grow a lot due to weather conditions etc,

One of the very best and cheapest places to buy good used gardening books is in the likes of the red cross shops or animal rescue shops,

these book you'll find in these places once we're bought by very keen gardeners who proberly have no use for the books now or are gardening in heaven (get my thought on this one?)

But seriously ive a book case of over 100 books ref all kinds of gardening from sowing to planting to garden construction to how the victorians did gardening and i'd say 75% have come from the red/cross and animal rescue type shops.
And everyone of them is well worth every penny i spent in buying them and im for ever looking things up so they're never redundant or a waste.
KEEN GARDENER ENJOYS ALL ASPECS OF THE COUNTRYSIDE

Trikidiki

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 00:38 »
I agree with everything you say except the first paragraph.

One of the best ways to see whats ready for planting is to spend time walking around a good garden centre,
you'll see all the plants they've grown and are ready  to be continued on in your garden etc,

Most garden centres will stock plants which are not ready to be planted outside yet. How many people will have bought tender plants over this Easter weekend, plant them out, then get them frosted in a few days time.

Your suggestion of reading some good books will give the OP a better idea of what to do or failing that read the seed packets.

Like you, I have dozens of books. My sister laughs when I buy a new book and says surely you know enough by now to write your own book, but there's still tons to learn.

Alifink

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 11:40 »
Look if you've any independent nurseries in your area, these are usually far cheaper than garden centres.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 13:25 »
I agree with everything you say except the first paragraph.

you'll see all the plants they've grown and are ready  to be continued on in your garden etc

Most garden centres will stock plants which are not ready to be planted outside yet. How many people will have bought tender plants over this Easter weekend, plant them out, then get them frosted in a few days time.

Couldn't agree more - Wyevale is stocked with lots of largeish tomato plants at £5-7, most racked outside to give the assumption they are ready to go out, which need 10C at night to not go into a prolonged sulk. That's about 5 weeks off here in the balmy south.

If you look at the top bar of this site there's a tab with March Jobs, which includes sowing/growing guides. It updates month by month. Rocket Garden also send out hardened off plug plants if that's what you are after - my friend  uses them most years as you can't raise much when you live in a studio and your site doesn't permit any greenhouses or sheds.  :)

DANNY

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 22:06 »
Look if you've any independent nurseries in your area, these are usually far cheaper than garden centres.
Hi, the first thing im going to say is this,
IF you really think what on seed pkts is for all parts of the country then you are not listening to what ive said,
seed pkt do give a mine of info but they can't give any indication of weather or condition from any one spot on the map in the uk,
Ie southern englad can be a lot warmer in easter than in scotland, so the info on seed pkts needs the experience given by tried and trusted methods,
the exact same thing can and is said via garden centre displays,
ie if for some readon the indoor sections of the unheated dept of a garden centre has lets say cabbage plants growing, they will not continue if you plant them in your garden and it freezes that very same evening,

This is why i said do your home work first via reading all the info you can during the likes of the winter when you have the time to study all the needs of what ever your thinking of growing and you'll find again these readings will tell you what to look for ref weather and conditions the verious plants will need and what they dont need but no book will give you any direct info for your part of the uk,
After all the writers dont know what the weather is going to be like in your area when they write thses books
thats your job to ensure you have the likes of a frost free greenhouse or a building that tends to keep a temature thats above freezing through these cold times,
I keep all my geraniums in my work shop that above my barn ive had this area bothed lined via the walls and ceiling and the tempature stays above 55deg throughout the coldest winter hence the geraniums live in the workshop during the winter and are removed into the greenhouse around march/april time.

Your question was ref what to grow this time of the year and as i said "have a look in any good gardencentre and you'll see whats coming up for future planting,
Now its up to you to plant out your buys when the chance of all frost has gone.

But again you can use verious precautions to help the plants should you get a late frost, ie fleece around the plants, the plastic covers for the likes of individual plants,
But as ive said do your home work before you even buy any plants/shrubs and you'll soon know if your condition are good for what ever your thinking of doing.

3759allen

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 20:51 »
carrots and snips you start sowing pretty soon.

i leave my brassicas until summer to plant/ harvest in winter, so you'll prob be best to do them when you get back in august. i find they seem to go to seed too quickly if i try to grow them in summer. i just find it easier this way, but i have to blanch and freeze.

Jackypam

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 08:44 »
Suggest you make a friend at the allotment who isn't away at the same time in the summer and swap watering services - then as someone (surbie?) said on this thread, follow the month by month guide on this thread for outdoor sowing (beans, carrots,snips, brassicas, etc). You may find just a little space at home for a pot with cucumber and courgette plants? On a window sill?  You only need a few.  Not sure why your onions didn't grow, but someone else will know.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 12:16 »
[If you look at the top bar of this site there's a tab with March Jobs, which includes sowing/growing guides. It updates month by month.

Main link:
http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-month-help/index.php
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jezza

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 23:05 »
hi if you are any where near East Yorkshire there is a commercial plant raiser that sells vegetable plants in 1" blocks to the public they range from 15- 30pence each its called GreenSide up  jezza

xx
Supermarket living lettuce-plant or not 2 plant?

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 20:29
by violet61
xx
Butternut - to plant out or not to plant out?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 17:09
by little sweetpeas
xx
what to plant?

Started by RigsVilleBird on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 24, 2011, 19:25
by RigsVilleBird
xx
what can i plant now please?

Started by sarah1983jane on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 16, 2013, 23:38
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 34 queries.