Update on hens health

• 6 Replies

betty

• Experienced Member
Update on hens health
« on: January 17, 2008, 02:33 »
Hello, Well here is the update on my hen.  She is still living.  She eats, somewhat, walks around, slowly, has watery poo with little poo in it, drinks alot of water, bathed her, what a smell :shock:  blow dried her and put her to bed.  I gave her more mineral oil, I thought she might have sour crop, but I don't feel anything in there.  She sits with her chest way out and her head down on her sholders.  But she is still living.  She clucks when she sees me comming into the room I have her in.  I am calling the vet on Thursday, I feel she has the will to live.  She has made it this far.  Saturday I WILL POST PICS.  Promise I will.  I just hope someone on here can walk me through the steps.  o.k. for now.  yf    Betty

mercury

Update on hens health
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 12:45 »
Pleased to hear she's still with us betty, keep us posted :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Update on hens health
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 16:14 »
She sounds as if she has a nasty infection.  I hope the vet has been able to treat her but I won't be supprised if s/he decides against it  :cry:

Sally XX

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Update on hens health
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 10:13 »
I recently had a poorly hen and, against all the odds, as I think it is/was Mareks Disease, she pulled through! The main thing is to ensure she's eating and drinking enough. If she stops drinking, use a small syringe and add electrolytes to the water you give her. Diarolyte or the like (not spelt like that but the chemist will know what you mean!) Keep her food close enough so that she can reach it and "snack" when she feels like it. Also give her some little bits of fresh fruit to peck at, it will help to keep her alert and active as well as being good for her as well.

Lots of TLC and we all hope she pulls through,

Judi

betty

• Experienced Member
Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 04:41 »
Thank you all for your comments.  I am doing my best to keep up with her.  She does require alot of my time checking up on her, treating her with meds, cleaning up after her, and keeping her entertained while she is inside.  But so far so good.  We manage o.k.  I just want her to be a chicken again.   She can see her "chicken Family" outside. I have her in front of a big window, and she can watch the out doors, and get alot of sun during the day.  It has been in the 30's latley, but we had a few 50 degree days and I went out with her, and the other chooks let her know her place was at the end of the pole.  She WAS the head hen.  I feel bad for her.  I am trying to figure out this photo bucket, to send pics.  yf betty :roll:

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.traffordangling.co.uk
Update on hens health
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 10:54 »
hello betty, hope your hens doing ok.

tell us what you're having trouble with re photobucket as i use it as i'm sure a few others do on here and we may be able to help. i'm not much help with your chicken but i can make up for it with your photobucket problem lol   :D

Bodger

Update on hens health
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 11:18 »
Quote from: "Lost in France"
I recently had a poorly hen and, against all the odds, as I think it is/was Mareks Disease, she pulled through! The main thing is to ensure she's eating and drinking enough. If she stops drinking, use a small syringe and add electrolytes to the water you give her. Diarolyte or the like (not spelt like that but the chemist will know what you mean!) Keep her food close enough so that she can reach it and "snack" when she feels like it. Also give her some little bits of fresh fruit to peck at, it will help to keep her alert and active as well as being good for her as well.

Lots of TLC and we all hope she pulls through,

Judi

Judi if your bird pulled through, it wasn't Mareks disease.

xx
New Hens Update

Started by Vember on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 01, 2008, 20:12
by Vember
xx
8 unexpected hens update!

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 11, 2013, 17:15
by ANHBUC
xx
Can hens twist their ankles - update

Started by dawninspain on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2008, 20:15
by Aunt Sally
question
4 sneezing hens + rooster! UPDATE!! Now terrible rattles and wheezing! HELP!

Started by freebirdy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 14, 2011, 13:53
by kegs

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 33 queries.