bee course

• 2 Replies

casper

• Experienced Member
bee course
« on: December 07, 2014, 20:47 »
I started a beginners level bee course 2 weeks ago, love the idea but my neighbours a nervo, so dont know if I will get the chance in my own garden but if not will definately have a greater respect for these little things x

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: bee course
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 07:37 »
We got a hivewith nucleus last year, the person we bought it from gave some instruction, but as he is Bulgarian and our language skills are minimal, his English speaking daughter had to be consulted, by phone, on the finer points. We now have another hive waiting in the wings in case of a swarm and had a small harvest of honey (totally delicious) So hopefully the first hive will be giving us a good amount next year.

Our English neighbours are a complaining lot, they have moaned about the chickens, geese and dogs at various times, all totally unjustified (we live in a rural village where everyone except them have livestock) and the latest was her ringing to say that 'our' bees have swarmed and were in the barn....all ten of them! In winter! Apart from anything else we are surrounded by hives being in a honey producing area! She sprayed them with Raid!!!!!

However, unless you really have complaining neighbours and the hive will not be too near them, they will not even know they are there, We have twenty a couple of doors away which we didn't know were there. We have lovely fruit and veg crops!

Enjoy your course, they are fascinating creatures.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: bee course
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 09:36 »
I know nothing about it, but I have heard that if you put a 6' fence around the hives the bees will gain altitude and fly off "above" the nieghbours. Just a thought :)

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 35 queries.