Potatoes tubers

• 15 Replies

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
Potatoes tubers
« on: March 21, 2014, 13:52 »
Hi Guys,

Need some advice please, how many potatoes tubers would you put in one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260737675262?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

size 17lt I was thinking about 5 in each but not sure if this would be too many.

Thanks
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
Re: Potatoes tubers
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 14:28 »
They are quite small - only 12" deep, so I wouldn't plant any more than 3 potatoes in each - I use bigger containers than this but still keep the number of tubers to no more than 3.

Maarten

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 14:33 »
Hi,

They are about 12x12 inch (30 x 30cm) it says. I think that would be too small for 5 tubers and the link seems to suggest 1 per bag. T&M advice 5 tubers in their 40 liter grow bags. So, probably you should not go to more than 2 and you need to plant close to the bottom to get enough height of growth below the soil to get the side shoots that produce the potatoes.

Best wishes,

Maarten

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 14:34 »
They are quite small - only 12" deep, so I wouldn't plant any more than 3 potatoes in each - I use bigger containers than this but still keep the number of tubers to no more than 3.

fatcat1955

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 14:34 »
I only put 1 in each bag of that size.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 17:31 »
Spacings in the normal row is at least 14" x 30" so your 12x12" should only take 1..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 23:01 »
There is a grower on the YouTube channel allotmentdiary that recommended 15 litres per spud. He seems to get really good yields so there must be something to it.

solway cropper

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 23:22 »
A lot of show growers use 17l polypots and put 1 tuber in each. I grow first earlies in 10l flower buckets with one seed per bucket but these are harvested as 'baby' new potatoes. There just isn't enough room for them to grow much bigger although I did once manage to get well over 1kg of lovely spuds from one!

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 08:02 »
I'd only put 1 each.

There is a grower on the YouTube channel allotmentdiary that recommended 15 litres per spud. He seems to get really good yields so there must be something to it.

I also use this guys method. Dan, I think his name is. 2 seed potatoes in 30 litre tubs and you can get up to 8 or 9 lbs from the one tub.

I'm doing an experiment this year to compare yields with those put in the ground, as you can just see here.

British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 16:52 »
thanks for all the replies will put one in each i think, need to get some bigger ones for next year.

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 22:33 »
I also use this guys method. Dan, I think his name is. 2 seed potatoes in 30 litre tubs and you can get up to 8 or 9 lbs from the one tub.

I'm doing an experiment this year to compare yields with those put in the ground, as you can just see here.

Of course the problem with putting them in the ground is there can be difficulties knowing if you got them all out, or if all the potatoes extracted came from just one plant, so it may skew the comparison.

I grow in containers while waiting for my turn on an allotment list. I haven't considered potatoes before as I have nowhere to plant them, but picked up some 35 litre pots like Dan has to give it a go this year. Should be interesting trying it at the very least.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 22:34 by GreyScales »

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 22:37 »
Do you have a flat roof on you garage etc? I used mine for many years to grow veg on...

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 23:03 »
Do you have a flat roof on you garage etc? I used mine for many years to grow veg on...

Afraid not, on a slant. I'll find somewhere for a few containers but it is a bit of a balancing act to get everything out in the garden without taking it over.

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 07:01 »
We put three spuds in a pot that size.

When we harvest them, we make sure we keep the haulm intact, replant it and get another crop about the same size later on!

Goosegirl

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 12:22 »
We put three spuds in a pot that size.

When we harvest them, we make sure we keep the haulm intact, replant it and get another crop about the same size later on!
Aha - posted quite a while ago about this because I have seen tiny pots hanging onto the haulms when digging them up and wondered if it was possible to replant. Two croppings from one space can't be bad, as in "two for the price of one."
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

question
potatoes with no leaves but with tubers..??

Started by SnooziSuzi on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 00:21
by Salmo
xx
Charlotte Potatoes and rot in larger tubers

Started by brokenglass on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2014, 11:26
by m1ckz
xx
Potato Tubers

Started by rikknikk on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 14:09
by Ivor Backache
xx
potato tubers

Started by GAZBEE on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 18:20
by Kristen

Page created in 0.387 seconds with 36 queries.