Advice for a newbie please

• 19 Replies

Sassy

Re: Advice for a newbie please
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 08:32 »
Good idea to get purple spray as it masks the red of blood which will encourage the others to attack that area. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Juhannus

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 13:39 »
Thanks for all the advice.  Things have changed and become more settled now.  The copper blue has now gone but it's been pretty educational watching and understanding how the whole pecking order works. The ladies are back to being happy cooing ladies again. 

I'm still pretty mad at being put into this situation in the first place but it's definitely been a lesson or 5 learnt.  I'm also glad in a way because it's reintroduced me to the message boards here.  I'm definitely going to get a couple of books and have read a few handy links now.  I have a shopping list of things to stock up on when I visit the local supply shop tomorrow  :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 16:38 »
The breeder could well have been telling the truth about the cockerels getting on when they were settled in their home.  A new environment is likely to be what has caused the falling out and re-establishment of the pecking order.

Glad things have settled down now, you will be filling your time with reading, watching, more reading and definitely more watching.   ;) :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Juhannus

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 17:01 »
The general opinion at the lottie is that he knew what he was doing but didn't want to make the choice himself but hey ho.  He knows I loves the birds as they have no feathers on their legs, so all's fair etc. The copper blue spent a lovely last day alledgedly.  He escaped first thing yesterday after the proper order was restored and gorged himself on my neighbours strawberries for 10 hours+ 

I'm just grateful that they're understanding, I suspect it was made easier by the donation of strawberries I gave them the day before  ::)  It could have been so much worse.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 17:13 »
 :lol:  That must have been his last request.   :lol:

We went out for the day and a cheeky blackbird helped itself to our ripe strawberries.   There weren't many but we were really looking forward to them.  The plants are now covered with an eglu run to prevent the little thief returning.   ;)

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
newbie advice please

Started by me4243 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 31, 2011, 13:59
by stan deakin
xx
Newbie needs advice

Started by kyz1981 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 07, 2012, 21:37
by ANHBUC
xx
Newbie-advice please?

Started by bizkaz on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 04, 2008, 13:37
by Bodger

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 35 queries.